The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External DNS Setup

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by pokermagic, Apr 26, 2011.

1. pokermagic

pokermagic Member

Hi,

I want to use an external DNS Service. I understand i need to change the primary and secondary servers under WHM > Basic configuration and then change the resolver in WHM to my nameserver IP addresses.

my question i have a dns zone that was automatically set up for that domain. Do i just need to delete that zone?

Regards,

JR

2. lijeeshsd

lijeeshsd Active Member

There is no need to delete the DNS zone files automatically created by cpanel. DNS zone files existing in your hosting server will not cause any problem for external DNS lookups. Your domains use external DNS servers and so DNS requests will go to those servers.

If any domain use external mail service, then make sure that you set dns MX entries for that domain in hosting server to external mail service. Otherwise emails sent from the hosting server to such domains will be locally delivered instead of delivering to remote mail server(s).