The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External dns with cpanel?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by SigilStudios, Sep 14, 2003.

1. SigilStudios

SigilStudios Member

Is it possible to have cPanel/WHM save all DNS changes to another server?

It is my preference to have two servers set aside specifically for dns on all of my cpanel servers. I would like whm to save the dns changes and additions to those servers directly.

I can think of about dozen benefits from running a hosting biz in this configuration. Many of which include security and fail over tweaks.

If anyone can provide me with any information on this I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

Under edit setup set the master nameserver to external nameserver box 1 and have bind running on it. You should also create a dsa/rsa between the hosting box and the dns box. cPanel should copy files over without issue. For the second external dns box, you can either write your own scripts to snag new zone files, etc. or use the cpanel scripts in /scripts

Fairly easy to do, I think most larger cPanel hosts use this method.

3. al555

al555 Registered

I have the external primary dns set and it's working fine. Which script under /scripts directory would I use to pull dns zone files from external primary to external secondary dns server?

Thanks

4. Jemshi

Jemshi Well-Known Member

nothing!.

you will have to write your own for that.

5. unter

unter Member

Here is my situation.

I have two seperate boxes running nothing but named in a chrooted enviroment. I have rndc keys on both of them. It does establish a 'trust relationship' [ssh-keys] with the master nameserver, but when I try to synchronize the DNS records I get a "Scp Failed" error.

Any suggestions?

Also, I think it would be very helpful if someone could explain how records are created/deleted/modified when using remote nameservers.

Regards,
    Michael Nicks