The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External Email and CPANEL update

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by vpc, Sep 29, 2004.

1. vpc

vpc Registered

Hi, I am sure this is somewhere on here, but I cannot find it so any help would be appreciated.

As a reseller, using a hosting server seperate from an exchange server is common for me. Well, forms submitted from my clients websites are not looking outbound to the auth MX because of local mail config on the domain in question. So, a call to the hosting company asking them to remove those domains from local mail config does the trick. Is there anyway for me to take that task on? Better yet, isn't there anyway for CPANEL to not rebuild the local mail config on domains that have had them removed in the past everytime CPANEL updates?
    This is the absolute worst problem for a reseller and I cannot believe there is not a workaround. Thanks

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yes, the functionality is already there, so whoever is doing it isn't doing it correctly. When mail should be delivered off-server for a domain, the domain should be:

1. Removed from /etc/localdomains

2. Added to /etc/remotedomains

I would suspect they're not doing step 2, as it is that which stops cPanel from re-adding a removed domain whenever the localdomains file is rebuilt.

3. tulsabobt

tulsabobt Active Member

That does not work either. Have tried it and double checked it twice. I have one client that is only poiting their WWW at my i.p., and no one ELSE on that box can email them.

4. vpc

vpc Registered

yeah, it still is not working. I wish CPANEL would allow for removal of local mail from the account user, then allow for actual DNS points to be used for the local domain on the server. Makes reselling almost useless unless your customers are all lame websites.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Well, it should work, but there's obviously something awry with your configuration somewhere ;)

One other possibility is that if the server uses itself for DNS resolution (i.e. has 127.0.0.1 or its own IP address in /etc/resolv.conf). If that is the case, make sure that in WHM for that server that the MX record is set correctly for that domain. One way to check this is to issue the following on the server and make sure that the MX record resolves as expected:

dig domain.com MX