The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External Exim server?!

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Dependency, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Dependency

Dependency Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    helo nerds :p

XXXX have a cpanel setup that they like to use with a external dedicated exim server. Is there any "how to" regarding this? Is it even possible for cpanel to use another exim server(clean or populated) as MTA?? Whats the downside with a separate exim server, and what is there to gain?

And Happy new year folks, im so glad 2011 is long gone!!

2. Dependency

Dependency Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    ok ok, im a nerd myself, I hope the reason that nobody reply is because its a very dumb question :)

Thing is that this customer have a few cpanel servers, and like to build one big mail server to handle them all.
    Help me talk them away from the idea, or please give me some hints on where to start..

In my little head it is a good thing to have them separated, I prefer small problems, not single points of disasters, but the ISP is fixed on the idea.. HELP

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  4. hostmedic

hostmedic Well-Known Member

Washington Court House, Ohio, United States
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    This actually is not that difficult.
    Personally I have found however having 1 large mail server - especially if you are not scrubbing outbound email for spam could be a recipe for disaster.

Just one run-away user and Voila - you have a larger set of customers upset because the outbound ip is on a RBL (black-list) and none can send email.

I have been playing around with using Baruwa as the front-end to a Postfix installation with Bayesian Filtering utilizing a simple Mysql database, Dnsmasq, MailScanner (Spamassassin, ClamAV, Pyzor, Razor, DCC-Client), FuzzyOcr, Sanesecurity Signatures, KAM, Scamnailer, FireHOL (Iptables Firewall), Relay Recipients Script, as well as each email being stamped with an Outgoing Disclaimer with alterMIME.

Amazing how effective this is.
    We chose postfix for no good reason - just found it to be very easy to work with.

The up coming release of Baruwa (version 2 still in development) promises to make the outbound method much easier.
    I have yet to see something else for FREE that will do it this nicely.

Funny - but I loaded Baruwa on our Barracuda AntiSpam appliance for inbound email filtering to our customers - AND all are singing its praises. The inbound setup is very simple. Each end user can login to the filter to check the "quarantine" by simply using the same user/password as their pop3 or imap account on cpanel's exim server.

We spent over $10K on our barracuda appliance and had such a bad experience - google barracuda sucks for details - my post is #1. While that was years ago now - I don't plan on going back to them when this free opensource system works.

HowToForge has some decent instructions on the setup.

PS - doing this via a cluster is ultra simple.
    Simply share the backend mysql - setup a few servers and voila - your good to go