The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

extra records in zones

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by daverj, Jun 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. daverj

daverj Registered

I recently got a VPS and there are some extra records in the name server and host zones, that I don't think belong. But let me start by saying that everything does seem to be functioning as it is. I'm just worried about potential future issues from the zone files being odd.

The VPS currently has one cPanel account with my main site and domain. Let's call it mydomain.com Let's say the hostname is myhost.mydomain.com and the name servers are ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com

The zone file for mydomain.com is large and complex, so I'm not going to even think about messing with that.

The zones for the other three seem to have been created using the standard template in WHM by the hosting company. But that means they include things that I don't think they normally would have. All three zones contain an SOA, two NS records (one for each nameserver), an A, an MX, and three CNAMES (1 each for www, mail, and ftp).

The CNAMES for www, mail, and ftp seem out of place for all three of those.

I think the MX belongs in the hostname zone, but in the nameserver zones?

Is this normal? Should I just leave it, or tweak these?

2. 24x7ss

24x7ss Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hey :),

The cPanel installation has default DNS template pre-loaded on server. So keep it as it is, if you do not need to make any custom changes.

3. daverj

daverj Registered

Are you talking about templates for domains that you add to the server? Or templates for the nameservers and hostname of the server itself?

If you are talking about the first one, I am well aware of those. If you are talking about special templates for the nameservers and hostname, do you know where they are so I can see them? (they are not in the "Edit Zone Templates" part of the WHM control panel. At least not in this install. That just has the templates for the domains that you add to the server)

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Those zones are created when you configure the hostname and name servers before creating a zone for the domain name associated with them. For instance, if you create an account for $domain.com first, then the "A" records for the hostname and name servers are added to the existing zone for $domain.com, as opposed to the creation of separate zones for the hostname and name servers. Both methods achieve the same purpose, and the records you referred to are standard.

Thank you.

5. daverj

daverj Registered

So what you are saying is that if during setting up the server, if mydomain.com had been set up first, and then servername.mydomain.com was added, and then ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com were added, that things would have ended up a bit differently? That this was how it ended up because during the setup the hosting company did an automated setup adding the nameservers and hostname first?

That actually makes a lot of sense to me.

But.... Now that it is all set up, including the main mydomain.com site and zone, isn't it a bit odd to leave the nameserver and host zones with CNAMEs for www, mail, and ftp? and to leave the nameservers with MX records? Are those things normally in the zones for nameservers and hosts? Shouldn't I edit those zones and remove them?

Is there someplace I can look at what would be considered "normal" or "standard" for a nameserver zone and a host zone for a server configuration like this (a server with 2 IPs and the same domain name for the main site, the hostname and 2 nameservers)

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The CNAME records allow users to resolve a host to an IP address for services such as FTP and email. The MX record allows email functionality. Some users may prefer these records by default if they never plan on adding the actual domain name to the cPanel server. It follows the "standard" DNS zone template that's customization via:

"WHM Home » DNS Functions » Edit Zone Templates"

Documentation on the zone templates is available at:

Edit Zone Templates - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

You can edit the "standard" zone template to remove those values if you prefer to use different records, or you can delete the separate zones for the hostname/name servers in order to consolidate them into the zone for the domain name itself.

Thank you.