Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Extracting a single file from the full backups

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZeusChicago, Dec 26, 2006.

1. ZeusChicago

ZeusChicago Active Member

I am trying to extract a single file from a WHM Full Backup tar. I know the filename I need to extract, and the directorys to reach the file, but it does not seem to be working.

Here is what I tried (so I assuming the backup files have a differant directory struture.

tar xvf yadayada.tar /home/userfolder/forums/Themes/babylon index.template.php
    It chugs for a while (its a 5.3 gb tar) and says it cant find the file specificed.

Any help would be greatly apprisheated

Z

2. adept2003

adept2003 Well-Known Member

tar -xvf yadayada.tar /home/userfolder/public_html/forums/Themes/babylon/index.template.php

If that doesn't work, you should probably double-check the location of the file within the archive:
    tar -tvf yadayada.tar

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ZeusChicago

Sorry about that, I did have the public_html part in there. however, using that tar listing command (thanks) I have noticed that the backup has added a /homedir/ to the directory structure.
    so I did

tar -xvf promose7.tar /home/promose7/homedir/public_html/forums/Themes/babylon/index.template.php

And it still compains about not being able to find the file. I am trying this command from the /backup/daily directory logged in as root. Am I missing "period" or am I not supposed to have the leading "/" or something, or is the backup just stored weirdly and I am not able to extract 1 file out and have to do an entire restore (or just untar the whole damn mess). I would hate to do either (its a 5gb backup)

Z

4. adept2003

adept2003 Well-Known Member

Get rid of the leading forward-slash.

Check the location of the specific file: tar -tvf yadayada.tar | grep index.template.php (assuming you don't have hundreds of files named the same!)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. nazmy

nazmy Member

it should be :
    Code:
    tar -xvf yadayada.tar userfolder/homedir/public_html/forums/Themes/babylon/index.template.php
    But be careful this will be extracted in your current dir (CWD) i.e.

if you're in root dir executing this You will find a dir called promose7 and the rest under it

6. ZeusChicago

Thanks! That did the trick. It was because I was includeing /home/ in front of the user's folder.

Proper santax is: tar -xvf {userfolder}/homedir/{entirepathtofile}

Z

p.s. thanks to everyone else that pitched in a comment as well!

7. arkain

arkain Well-Known Member

can you extra per directory? if so, how do you do it?