The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extracting cPanel Backups

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blessing, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Blessing

Blessing Registered

I want to extract homedir.tar, but when I extract it, all the files that should be in public_html inside homedir is gone. It only has couple of files and folders. Shouldn't there be all the files that I uploaded into the web host? *I extracted the .tar file in WinRar*. Please help!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Was the account you created the backup with running low or out of space when you created the backup? Just wondering out loud here if that might cause this sort of issue.

3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    In addition to what Infopro has asked, please let us know the following:
    1. What method was used to generate the cPanel account backup. For example, was the backup generated via cPanel while logged-in as the cPanel user, or was the backup generated by system-wide cPanel backups as configured via WebHost Manager (WHM), such as automated daily, weekly, and monthly backups?
    2. Were any errors reported when extracting the compressed archive (e.g., while extracting either the backup archive named with ".tar.gz" or the inner TAR archive named "homedir.tar")?

If the backup was generated via cPanel, and if generating the account backup caused the cPanel account to exceed its file system disk quota, then it is possible this could pose a problem or prevent a successful and complete backup of the entire cPanel account.

4. Blessing

Blessing Registered

In my web host, I used about 100-200 MB Disk Space and used about 1.2 GB Bandwidth. And no, my web host isn't WHM.
    I did full backup (Home Directory) in my cPanel. Not in any PHPAdmin, etc. It said Backup Successful so I downloaded the backup. No errors. And I had unlimited disk space and unlimited bandwidth. Unlimited everything!

#4 Blessing, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You might want to speak to your host about this so they can take a closer look for you.