The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extremely High Server Load... Out of the blue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Glasswalker, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Glasswalker

Glasswalker Member

Hey, just posting because nothing I do seems to help... I have a machine running a Celeron 2.4Ghz 1G Ram server on Fedora 4. Running Cpanel/WHM

This server has one large forum site, and one or two small no-volume sites... I have checked stats and nothing has increased, still the same old stats that these sites have all had for a month or two now... the large site has 50,000 page views per day on a PHPNuke type / PHPBB forum site...

The server load USED to be 0.2 to as high as 1.2 and it fluctuated through the day... and the server was very snappy and great... But then about a week ago suddenly my serverloads are fluctuating from 4.0 to 6.0 and even at spikes it breaks 10.0 now... I have tried optimizing apache, and mysql... can't find the problem... I don't know what is causing so much slowdown on the server...

This server had many things installed and such during last month, but all of them minor opensource php website packages, not serverside stuff... The only change to apache I made in the last month was turning on GD, and Zend (for one of the opensource things, but I didn't end up using it at all). Other than that the increase just appeared overnight (so I thought it might have been a cpanel auto update)

Any help would be much appreciated... I planned on selling space on this server, and I can't do that if it is running like garbage with a mere 50,000 page views... that isn't that much volume really (this site ran this smooth on my old P3 500 dual processor with 512MB Ram... which also had 300 other websites running on it... so you can't tell me the server can't handle it...)

Thanks!

2. Freezer

Freezer Well-Known Member

In your server status in WHM, look in CPU/Memory/MySQL Usage.
    Maybe you can see there what is causing the load?

3. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

High Server Load has been discussed so many times in this forum. I suggest you search the forum using the keywords "high server load" for clues on how to solve your problem.

4. Walker

Walker Member

I have to say.. nice /sarcasm

I *am* searching the forums ATM for a couple of solutions, and all i seem to be finding is you telling people to search....

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Indeed. However, rather than just being obstructive, if you're going to make such posts please at least provide the terms to search for, otherwise you're adding nothing to the thread.