The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extremely new beginner

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LinkTownsend, Aug 11, 2004.

1. LinkTownsend

LinkTownsend Registered

Hello,

I know nothing about cPanel. I barely know anything about HTML, CSS, PHP, etc. But I got some space on a server, and this is what they use. I'm relearning HTML and plan on learning all those others as I go along.

Thing is, I don't know where to start!

I know a little HTML, so I was just trying some test pages, just simple text stuff to make sure things are working. Only problem is, I don't know where to put it.

What I mean is, I create a new simple file in "public_html," correct? let's say I call it main.html. My web address is "bohemiancinema.uni.cc." How do I access this page? Is it "bohemiancinema.uni.cc/main.html?" Because when i type that in, it doesn't show my page. If I wanted a page that was "bohemiancinema.uni.cc/movies/link.html," would I have to create a folder in "public_html" called "movies" and then in there, a file called "link.html?" I don't know if that's how cPanel X works or not. I've looked at a ton of tutorials (which almost all turned out to be the same one) and I just don't know how this works.

I am on Mac OS X, by the way. I've read that cPanel supposedly isn't available, or doesn't work on this. But I figured this was just incompetence or stupidity (see? I don't even think I spelled incompetence correctly!).

Any insight would really help.

2. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

http://bohemiancinema.uni.cc/main.html should serve up this page:
    /home/yourusername/public_html/main.html

index.html, or index.php are usually the default pages, i.e. they're served automatically when the directory is requested.

Yes

3. LinkTownsend

LinkTownsend Registered

I see. well, I created a main.html, and also a movies/link.html, but when i type them in, it said it couldn't be found on the server. But that's different than what happens when I just type in "bohemiancinema.uni.cc." When I type THAT in, a window pops up saying the URL isn't valid and couldn't be opened, but the top of the window has the title "Bohemian Cinema." I tried bohemiancinema.uni.cc/index.php (which I didn't see under public_html, but still) and it does the same thing, but when i try index.html (which IS a file under public_html, it showed the former message).

So did I not install something correctly, am I not doing it right, or is it the fact that I'm on OS X?

4. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like your domain has not yet propogated.

5. LinkTownsend

LinkTownsend Registered

That's a possibility. But I thought it was fine because when I go to it, even though it says I can't find it, it still says "Bohemian Cinema" at the top, just like I specified the title should be after registering the name. I registered it over a week ago, I believe. But who knows....hmm.

6. FriedEgg

FriedEgg Active Member

The domain is accessible, and it loads an html page, but that's where the problem is. Your default page (index.html or whatever) is a frameset, and your frames aren't defined properly. One is just http:// and the other is about:blank. You may wish to just make a simple html page before you start trying to use frame.

Also, when people say cPanel doesn't work on Mac, they're referring to the server and not users/clients.