The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

:fail: + default addy problems..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Devil Inside, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Devil Inside

Devil Inside Well-Known Member

I have a user who...well here - read it:

I directed him to try creating another account such as fail@domain.com and setting that as his default addy.

Then forward that to :fail:

but that didn't help.

2. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Set up POP3 accounts/forwards for all the email addresses he DOES want to receive email on (or set up an appropriate filter: although this may be slightly more tricky).

Then set the "Default catchall address" to ":blackhole:" (as spammers do tend to forge the From/Reply-To address and so sending a response via :fail: will just spam someone else).

Job done ;)

3. Devil Inside

right right - I understand about using :fail: and how spammers work.

But the user does not want to use :blackhole:

So that's not an option.

And the main point - is there a problem with cpanel as it's not handling the :fail: properly?

Or, am I one a few who is experiencing this issue?

when :fail: is set

mail addressed to the main email account *the username* will fail.

why?

4. Devil Inside

And also - if the user sets up pop accounts...those will for sure work when the default is set to :blackhole: ??

If that's the case...will they work with the default set to :fail: ??

And if so - *directed to cpanel* is that to say the users should be informed to NOT use their main account for mail purposes?

If so....well c'mon - that's just stupid. Plain and simple.

5. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Yes - they will work. The "catchall" facility only comes into operation if the incoming email is NOT deliverable to any account (so if you had the POP3 email address jo@example.com and the Forwarder fred@example.com, but an incoming email was sent to blarg@example.com then it would either fail/bounce).

I know this because that's how I've set my mail up ;) One POP3 email account (which only I know the address of), a dozen filters which forward mail meeting set criteria (for example, the email address starts with either 3 certain characters or or a special 'role account' such as sales@ ) to my POP3 box. All other mail is :blackhole:d (as it's sent to non-existant addresses). Combine that with SpamAssassin and my spam load since using Cpanel has gone down from around a thousand a day to less than 5!

6. Devil Inside

Thanks richy - good to know that works.

The issue I'm having now is that the user wants to use the address of the main email account. Which stops functioning when the default catchall is set to :fail:

I'd change the username so he could pop it - but he's a reseller...

7. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

This :fail: thing has already been covered in detail. See the Rackshack forums for your answer. Do a search for Exim 4.24

8. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

Let's say the username is user1, so that the default account is user1@domain.com. If you set the default to fail, all email not directed to a created pop account and all mail to user1@domain.com will bounce. There is a solution. If you want to still recieve the mail that is sent to user1@domain.com, simply go to the control panel under Email > Manage Accounts and create another pop account for user1@domain.com. I know this sounds redundant, but trust me, it works. Now to log into this new account, use the full email address and the password you used when you created it and it will log you into this secondary account that has the same address as the default. All mail for user1@domain.com will be delivered to this secondary account. All mail sent to any non-existing pop account will be bounced.

Note: I recommend against using fail because it mostly bounces mail back to non-existing email addresses, which means, all that mail ends up in your server que and brings load problems for you. There is no value in bouncing spam. It will not get you off their list. They could care less if a message boundes back to them.

9. Devil Inside

Thanks for the information.

I know :fail: is a bad option - but I don't think it's good practice to tell my clients they can't use :fail:

They worry about legit email not reaching them due to incorrect address and then important mail could be lost...

How do you handle it?

10. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

I simply recommend against it, eplaining the reasons why. Most clients oblige without hesitation. The only way a legit email would not make it to them is if it were miss-addressed. That is a risk, and some people may not be willing to take the risk, but through a reasoned recommendation, I am able to at least minimize the number of people that want to use, as most want to use fail to bounce the message back to the spammer so that they get taken off the list. Unfortunately, that doesn't work as the spammer usually uses a forged reply_to and return_path so he never sees the bounce and doesn't care. Once you explain that, most clients will just blackhole the mail.

11. jmubane

jmubane Registered

That is sooooooooooo messed up but it works, there should really be something in the cpanel manual about that.