:fail: email, messages stuck in queue

ttremain

Feb 16, 2003
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
It's my understanding that if we use :fail: as the default address for a domain, then junk to that domain will be blocked from even comming into the server.

It's worked like this for years.

So if domain xxyz.com used :fail: no Such User Here

Why do I have a bunch of undeliverable emails in my queue that say:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
No Such User Here

I am using a standard Exim configuration, plus I've added "Mail Manage" and "Mail Queues" from ConfigServer

Any suggestions?

LP-Tim

Apr 30, 2007
I just noticed this morning that :fail: isn't failing for one of my domains. The mail sits in the queue. But just for one domain, the others seem ok. So far.

p.s. - also, when I went to edit the default address for this domain, I got:
The server was not able to find the document (./frontend/x3/def.html) you requested.

Last edited:

ttremain

Feb 16, 2003
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Follow up!

This appears to have been something in cPanel 11.x

I changed from Current to Release, and this completely changed the exim.conf file.

Now verify = recipient is back in the exim.conf file, and when I send an email to a failed address, from my yahoo account, the yahoo daemon responds with the fail, instead of it being generated on my server.

I hope this helps someone later.

ttremain

Feb 16, 2003
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I seem to have spoke too soon...

I am now back to having all the :fail: emails being generated and put into the queue again, instead of being generated during the SMTP conversation.

ttremain

Feb 16, 2003
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Nick-

Actually those have been changed since my last message. I've opened a ticket, and Russel is taking a look at it currently. He seems to ahve the original problem fixed, but is now working on a SpamAssassin issue that popped up.

If you are curious, it's ticket # 191425

Thanks!