The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

:fail: for specific accounts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by paulkoan, Apr 1, 2008.

1. paulkoan

paulkoan Well-Known Member

Hello,

With the default address, you can use :fail: to deny email to any undefined account. This happens during the SMTP conversation and stops the email being delivered.

I'd like to use :fail: for various accounts, while retaining the catchall.

The Account Filters areas have "Discard" and "Fail with Message", but neither of these appear to stop the email at SMTP time - I get a 250 Accepted.

Any ideas how I can do this?

Cheers,

Paul

2. LiNUxG0d

LiNUxG0d Well-Known Member

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure if this is what you want, but, you would leave your catch-all in place, and the accounts you want to fail, you would add a forwarder to, which forwards to:

:fail: <message>

If you have root access to the box in question, you could always use `nano` to edit the /etc/valiases/domain.com file to add forwarders manually. cPanel should allow you to forward addresses to fail though.

I hope this is what you're looking for. Essentially, leave your catch-all open and fail individual addresses.

You may want to insure that any failed addresses don't have a POP account on the server or else you might get delivery AND fail at the same time.

Hope this assists you,

3. paulkoan

This doesn't work unfortunately, I get a 250 Accepted from the "forward to :fail:" accounts.

The email addresses in question are in a domain that is domain forwarded to another domain on the same box.

I suspect this is the problem - there should perhaps be an option where you decide what the forwarding sequence is, and whether the forwarding rules should be aborted on a match.

This would get around the "forward and deliver to local pop3" behaviour if this is not wanted.

My preferred sequence would be:

1) Process local forwarding rules
    2) Process domain forwarding rules
    3) Go to 1 if domain forwarded

With a "stop processing further rules" if matched option.

Hopefully, I have just missed the point and I can have what I want. Anyone?

4. paulkoan

Actually, forward to fail doesn't seem to work at all.

I set the default address for the domain to :fail:, turned off domain forwarding, and set up a forward to :fail: for the specific account.

I still got a 250 Accept during the SMTP session for the account as recipient..

What is going wrong?!