Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

:fail: for specific accounts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by paulkoan, Apr 1, 2008.

1. paulkoan

paulkoan Well-Known Member

Hello,

With the default address, you can use :fail: to deny email to any undefined account. This happens during the SMTP conversation and stops the email being delivered.

I'd like to use :fail: for various accounts, while retaining the catchall.

The Account Filters areas have "Discard" and "Fail with Message", but neither of these appear to stop the email at SMTP time - I get a 250 Accepted.

Any ideas how I can do this?

Cheers,

Paul

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. LiNUxG0d

LiNUxG0d Well-Known Member

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure if this is what you want, but, you would leave your catch-all in place, and the accounts you want to fail, you would add a forwarder to, which forwards to:

:fail: <message>

If you have root access to the box in question, you could always use `nano` to edit the /etc/valiases/domain.com file to add forwarders manually. cPanel should allow you to forward addresses to fail though.

I hope this is what you're looking for. Essentially, leave your catch-all open and fail individual addresses.

You may want to insure that any failed addresses don't have a POP account on the server or else you might get delivery AND fail at the same time.

Hope this assists you,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. paulkoan

This doesn't work unfortunately, I get a 250 Accepted from the "forward to :fail:" accounts.

The email addresses in question are in a domain that is domain forwarded to another domain on the same box.

I suspect this is the problem - there should perhaps be an option where you decide what the forwarding sequence is, and whether the forwarding rules should be aborted on a match.

This would get around the "forward and deliver to local pop3" behaviour if this is not wanted.

My preferred sequence would be:

1) Process local forwarding rules
    2) Process domain forwarding rules
    3) Go to 1 if domain forwarded

With a "stop processing further rules" if matched option.

Hopefully, I have just missed the point and I can have what I want. Anyone?

4. paulkoan

Actually, forward to fail doesn't seem to work at all.

I set the default address for the domain to :fail:, turned off domain forwarding, and set up a forward to :fail: for the specific account.

I still got a 250 Accept during the SMTP session for the account as recipient..

What is going wrong?!