The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fail option on default email could block valid accounts!

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by durangod, Sep 20, 2012.

1. durangod

durangod Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Cpanel screws me again. I just found out that i was not getting alot of my mail and i could not figure out why and it was the default email option setting.

The default is suppose to be for emails sent to email addresses that do not exist in an account, such as donkey@xxxx or some other spam name.

What it is suppose to do is allow you to take emails that are sent to accounts that do not exist in your domain and give you options for what to do with those. So what was my choice, my choice was to use fail: which sends the sender a fail notice that the account does not exist.

And what happened is that it blocked my actual mail account my admin account. I tested it last night i sent an email to my admin account and i got a fail notice, i was like WTH! That email address does exist WTH is going on. I was so upset because i lost out on a bid.:mad: Freaken cpanel fix your software.

After i changed the option i waited a few min for it to propagate and then the email went thru fine.

So now i have the emails forwarded to a special email just for those.

I guess lesson learned on this one... I had a feeling that option was too good to be true and i was right.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Using fail should not be bouncing legit email addresses.

Why would you want that?

If your email is joe @ smith.com and you only have that one email address, any email to mary @ smith.com would be failed, not recieved, not stored, failed. Not sure how that blocked your admin account, but failed is the best way to go.

If you want to use an email address that does not exist, create a forwarder and point it to your actual email account.

Or am I not understanding the problem?