The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fail Question For Chirpy

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by moogle, Aug 8, 2007.

1. moogle

moogle Well-Known Member

Anyone can answer this, but the suggestion comes from Chirpy and his site.

He says you should use :fail: because it stops the email from even being brought in by the server which should save load issues. However, I have a problem.

When I use :fail: then the server sends back a "fail" message. Then they other server sends back a fail message. And my mail queue just always seems to be full of these fail messages. I have to empty it quite often.

In this case, would blackhole not be better?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, the search feature (while handy) brought up a lot of unrelated topics.

2. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Your mail queue being full has nothing to do with your using "fail". Remember, when you :fail: a message it doesn't even get onto your server. The queued messages you have are there for another reason - probably spam bounces that can't be returned.

3. moogle

moogle Well-Known Member

I am capable of reading the emails in the queue and understanding what they say.

They are emails bounced back with the 'fail' message and emails from the 'spammer' bouncing back because that email address never existed.

4. bebop1065

bebop1065 Active Member

Isn't it true that the bounces from the SPAMMER are returned to your server name address (root@yourserver) and not from the failed, nonexistent email address?

Your server name address exists so it won't fail the email. It will be accepted unless you have those emails filtered somewhere else.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The only time when I've seen :fail: not work correctly was with an issue a while back where cPanel got the recipient and sender verifications switched around. You should check your exim ACL section if you're running v11 of cPanel:
    http://www.configserver.com/blog/index.php?itemid=207