The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Fail with message' shows the error message twice in the return e-mail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Synnaxis, Oct 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Synnaxis

Synnaxis Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi,

So, quick description of what I'm trying to do.

I've created an e-mail filter for spam. Basically, I want to send all e-mail with a SPAM Score of 5+ to the Junk Folder, but also want to 'Fail with message'.

Below is a picture of the rule:

i.snag.gy/9PIai1.jpg

It works, but I get a double fail message in the return e-mail. So, when testing, I get this back:

Code:
    This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

"contact+Junk"@domain.com
    (generated from contact@example.com)
    No Such User Here
    contact@domain.com
    No Such User Here

Why is the fail message being repeated twice?

I'm trying to combat spam by returning the "No Such User Here" message, but it's kind of defeated if someone can see that the e-mail does exist. I don't want to completely fail the message in case something gets falsely marked as spam.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

#1 Synnaxis, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2016
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you verify the version of cPanel installed on your system? You can check with a command such as:

Code:
    cat /usr/local/cpanel/version
    There's a case in cPanel version 58.0.26 that addressed an issue where saving global and per-user mail filters with "Fail with Message" resulted in a double "fail fail" action stored in the filter file:

Fixed case CPANEL-8153: Ensure Exim fail filters use specified message.

If this version or newer is installed on your system, try saving the filter rule again to ensure the correction is made to the filter file.

Thank you.

Synnaxis likes this.
  3. Synnaxis

Synnaxis Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't have access the the server that is hosting the cPanel install, so I can't run any commands.

However, in the 'Server Information" page it's showing version 58.0.32.

I'll try your suggestion to see if it worked.

4. Synnaxis

Synnaxis Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Update: I tried re-saving the rules, as well as deleting and re-creating them.

No luck. Still having the same issue.

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you browse to the "Track Delivery" option in cPanel and let us know the results when searching for one the affected messages? The option is documented at:

Track Delivery - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Could you verify if you are using the "Email Filters" or "Global Email Filters" option, and if any other file rules exist? Also, what's configured under the "Default Address" option in cPanel?

Thank you.

6. Synnaxis

Synnaxis Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner

Hi Michael, I'm uploading some images of the "Track Delivery." I get 2 failures per test e-mail that I sent, which would explain the double message. However, it did still get delivered into the "junk" mailbox as intended, although that part didn't show in the "Track Delivery". Both 'Delivery Event Details' were exactly the same for both failures.

Originally, the rule was in the Global Filters, and there was only one other rule that was very similar. Once was for spam, the other was to block certain file types because we were getting a lot of fake e-mails with those files (.rar, .zip, .xlsx, etc...). Those were the only two rules. Since then, trying to troubleshoot the issue, I deleted those two rules and moved them to one of the individual e-mail filters, where the same issue occurred. At the time of the "Track Delivery" Screenshots, one and only one rule was present on an individual account filter (the one to block file types, as it's easier to test by attaching a file instead of trying to get a high spam score). No global filters either.

Under "Default Address", the first option is selected: "Discard the email while your server processes it by SMTP time with an error message."

Do you suspect the first fail message is being processed by this default address rule? Since it's trying to send it to ' "contact+Junk"@domain.com '?

Thanks again for all your help.

Attached Files:

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Try temporarily setting the default address for the domain name to "Forward to your system account" to see if the same behavior persists. If it does, I suggest reaching out to your hosting provider to have them open a support ticket with us so we can take a closer look.

Thank you.