Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

FAILED: ftpd on my domain, keep having error message

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alexneedjuice, Jul 30, 2014.

1. alexneedjuice

alexneedjuice Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,

Start from yesterday for my file server, received a lot of email one by one with the same error message description, mainly part I copy here as follows.
    Code:
    =============================================================================
    Server: 	(My server)
    Primary IP: 	(My file server IP)
    Service: 	ftpd
    Notification Type: 	failed
    Notification: 	ftpd failed @ Wed Jul 30 10:12:15 2014. A restart was attempted automagically.
    Service Check Method: 	[check command]
    Number of Restart Attempts: 	182
    Service Check Raw Output: 	

proftpd is not running

Startup Log: 	

Starting proftpd: 2014-07-30 10:07:15,870 proftpd[32509]: mod_auth_file/1.0: unable to use world-readable AuthUserFile '/home/(domain)/public_html/cgi-bin/ftp/ftp.users' (perms 0644): Operation not permitted
    2014-07-30 10:07:15,870 (file server domain) proftpd[32509]: fatal: AuthUserFile: unable to use /home/(domain)/public_html/cgi-bin/ftp/ftp.users: Operation not permitted on line 10 of '/etc/proftpd.conf'
    [FAILED]

Memory Information: 	

Used: 880MB
        Available: 31050MB
        Installed: 31930MB 

chkservd attempts to connect to 127.0.0.1:21 in order to validate this service is functioning. If you have blocked connections with iptables or hosts.allow this failure may be a false positive. You should open the firewall to allow connection as root to 127.0.0.1:21 or disable checks of this service in the Service Manager using the Configure monitor settings link below. 
    ================================================================================
    These almost never happened before, and from yesterday, this same email sending one by one with 10-30 minutes inteval to my email address.
    Could anyone help on this?

Regards,
    ALex

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The error message of importance is:
    What are the permissions on that ftp.users file? Did you run a recursive chmod at some point that would have changed the permissions of that file?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. alexneedjuice

alexneedjuice Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hey there,

So in this case I just need to modify the permission of this file, and everything would be ok?

Regards,
    Alex

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's possible, but did you check to see what the permission/ownership values are set to right now?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...