The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAILED: ftpd on my domain, keep having error message

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alexneedjuice, Jul 30, 2014.

1. alexneedjuice

alexneedjuice Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,

Start from yesterday for my file server, received a lot of email one by one with the same error message description, mainly part I copy here as follows.
    Code:
    =============================================================================
    Server: 	(My server)
    Primary IP: 	(My file server IP)
    Service: 	ftpd
    Notification Type: 	failed
    Notification: 	ftpd failed @ Wed Jul 30 10:12:15 2014. A restart was attempted automagically.
    Service Check Method: 	[check command]
    Number of Restart Attempts: 	182
    Service Check Raw Output: 	

proftpd is not running

Startup Log: 	

Starting proftpd: 2014-07-30 10:07:15,870 proftpd[32509]: mod_auth_file/1.0: unable to use world-readable AuthUserFile '/home/(domain)/public_html/cgi-bin/ftp/ftp.users' (perms 0644): Operation not permitted
    2014-07-30 10:07:15,870 (file server domain) proftpd[32509]: fatal: AuthUserFile: unable to use /home/(domain)/public_html/cgi-bin/ftp/ftp.users: Operation not permitted on line 10 of '/etc/proftpd.conf'
    [FAILED]

Memory Information: 	

Used: 880MB
        Available: 31050MB
        Installed: 31930MB 

chkservd attempts to connect to 127.0.0.1:21 in order to validate this service is functioning. If you have blocked connections with iptables or hosts.allow this failure may be a false positive. You should open the firewall to allow connection as root to 127.0.0.1:21 or disable checks of this service in the Service Manager using the Configure monitor settings link below. 
    ================================================================================
    These almost never happened before, and from yesterday, this same email sending one by one with 10-30 minutes inteval to my email address.
    Could anyone help on this?

Regards,
    ALex

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The error message of importance is:
    What are the permissions on that ftp.users file? Did you run a recursive chmod at some point that would have changed the permissions of that file?

Thank you.

3. alexneedjuice

alexneedjuice Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hey there,

So in this case I just need to modify the permission of this file, and everything would be ok?

Regards,
    Alex

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator