The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Failing own SPF test when emailing self via authenticated SMTP???

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by CaMer0n, Apr 7, 2007.

1. CaMer0n

CaMer0n Well-Known Member

Hi,

Am I completely missing something? :confused:

I have setup an SPF record on my domain, with the -all setting and all IPs associated with the server. Tested it using external SPF record checksites, and all is fine.

What has me confused is that if I send myself an email (via SMTP over port 465 via SSL) on the same server, my email FAILS Mailscanner's/Spamassissin's SPF check. (but does get delivered, simply due to the spam score being under the threshold)

ie. SPF_FAIL SPF: sender does not match SPF record (fail)

There seems to be no advantage in sending via an authenticated SMTP port any more than sending using a local ISPs SMTP.

But isn't this the whole point of SPF?

Does anyone know if there is some kind of exim or mailscanner configuration to get around this issue?
    Shouldn't authenticated SMTP mail originating from the server be whitelisted by default ?

Looking at the header of the emails, there is no record of the host's IP address, but only the IP address of the ISP I am using to connect to the SMTP port; hence the SPF failure.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in Advance,
    Cameron

2. nisse

nisse Well-Known Member

You need to include your ISP's IPs in your SPF record.

3. CaMer0n

CaMer0n Well-Known Member

Thanks, but it's not practical at all. I travel 5 months of the year, so I can't add IPs for everywhere that I will be. (Hotels, and various other unpredictable locations).
    Surely logging in via pop3 php_auth, to send mail should give some validity to the emails sent?

Thanks