The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Failover and Licensing Question

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by jonwatson, Sep 6, 2010.

1. jonwatson

jonwatson Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have two WHM servers clustered together with Heartbeat. I have an IP that is shared between them and it all works nicely. When the master craters, the slave picks up and activates the IP and servers up content. When the master comes back up, it retakes the IP and all is good.

At the moment, I am running two licenses. A real license assigned to the failover IP and a test license to get things set up.

What I hoped would happen is that I would be able to use a single cPanel license because it is tied to the IP and that IP would only ever be in play once - either the master or the slave has it; never both.

However, this doesn't seem to work. I have assigned the failover IP as the shared IP on both servers, but when I run the cpkeyclt script, the master still shows the Trial license information.

So, my question is - is it possible to do what I am doing with a single cPanel license or do I need to maintain two licenses even though I will only every be using a single copy at any given time?

Thanks

Jon

2. syslint

syslint Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    cPanel license is for Main IP of the server .

3. jonwatson

Hi,

I know that. I have two servers that share the main IP. When one goes down, the other picks up. So, even though the server has failed over to another physical box, the IP address is the same.

My question is - why doesn't my cPanel license for that IP address work when I fail over? Is it tied to something else other than just the IP? It somehow appears to know it is not on the same server despite being on the same IP.

Jon

4. jonwatson

Just subscribing....

5. d_t

d_t Well-Known Member

Have you tried to run /usr/local/cpanel/cpkeyclt after switch to backup server? As @mastersherin said, the cPanel license is for master server IP, so you need to set the same IP as primary for both servers (and only use on one at a time, of cource).