The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Failure to load home directory backup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adataman, Dec 9, 2004.

1. adataman

adataman Member

Made a home directory backup to local machine.. When I went to do the upload home directory file it started and goes to the page with the up arrow saying restoring files, at this point it just sits there indefinitely at that page, I have tried several times, even the whole process of backinging up the home directory again, with no success. Please help me as I am really confused why this will not work.

2. iCARus

iCARus Well-Known Member

Yes.
    I have the same problem. Restoration take minutes like he actually need, but without any error files are not on server. I got CentOS 3.3 with WHM 9.9.8 cPanel 9.9.8-R160.

Any fix on this ?

3. mygregory

mygregory Active Member

Exact Same Probem on 3 Different Servers

I have exactly the same problem on 3 different servers all with
    different builds. CentOS and Fedora and RedHatEnterprise A mix of the most recent stable Cpanel.

I AM AT MY WITS %^&*&^( END

I have tried different connections and browsers, I have checked data transfer to make sure the whole tarball was being transferred entirely. I am backing up and restoring from exact same server and site.

I HAVE PLENTY YEARS WORKING WITH CPANEL SYSTEM AND I HAVE NEVER SEEN
    SUCH A %*&^(*^** THING.

Any ideas, anybody?

mygregory :mad:

4. mygregory

mygregory Active Member

BUG I cry....no answer

Alright I'm calmer though getting more irritated by the minute by the lack of interest in this post. Perhaps you should have named it free sex.

I have investigated more calmly this problem on 4 servers.

The 2 that are unable to correctly restore backups through the cp are both

WHM 9.9.8 cPanel 9.9.8-R160
    CentOS 3.3 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

Red Hat Enterprise Linux

Whereas on the other hand the following 2 work:

WHM 9.9.7 cPanel 9.9.8-R5 Works
    Fedora

WHM 9.9.7 cPanel 9.9.8-S6
    Fedora i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

ERGO what else can it be but a nasty little bug.
    On the other hand you'd think there be more of an outcry at such a critical functioin being lost.

Maybe nobody bothers with backups anymore :eek:

5. adataman

adataman Member

still no luck

I have also tried several times backing up and reloading to the same server.. I am lost at this point.. I can't find anyone that has a solution to this problem, and yes I agree, such a critical function of backinging up. If anyone can help I would really appreciate..This is like having a car that doesnt go in reverse, pretty critical function.

6. mygregory

mygregory Active Member

Still not working

If this topic is being ignored it means that, the reader's assumption must be that all three of us are doing something wrong. Still would be nice if someone could help us figure it out.

Clearly the asssumption must be one of the following:

1) It is a browser issue, the browser is cutting of the download (I ruled this out with Opera/Firefox and IE attempts.

2)The file is somehow corrupt (I am able to verify it in WINRAR and have repeated the backup operation numerous times)

3) A connection problem (Have tried with numerous different connections)

Are all three of us running WindowsXP? :confused:

7. adataman

adataman Member

Using windows xp?

I am using windows XP, have not tried it withany other op sys.. I would imagine though we are not the only ones using XP and eveyone else is using something different. I wonder if there is a known issue with XP, but then everyone else majority wise uses it and would have the same problem we are.. I sure would like to be able to restore my websites through CPanel like the rest of the planet. :confused:

8. iCARus

iCARus Well-Known Member

yep. I'm using XP's too...but i'm 1000% possitive that this in not XP related problem. I was updating Cpanel from RELEASE to CURRENT version and the problem is the same.

Developers from Cpanel really sux, they can even reply with one post and try to fix or find the problem..but they dont even try read it ... :mad:

...my next post subject will be Sex related :eek: ...

9. swampy

swampy Well-Known Member

I am also havin this problem with WHM 9.9.9 cPanel 9.9.9-S11 any fix please

10. iCARus

iCARus Well-Known Member

I hope the fixed this in
    "9.9.9 (build 12) - EDGE Tree Linux i686 Sun Dec 12 23:16:21 2004
    resolve a problem with restoring accounts (cannot find cpanel users file)"

Anyone installed this EDGE ? Is fixed ?

Regards.

11. dhost

dhost Active Member

Using XP and tried to restore an account on 2 servers with no problems:
    Fedora i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

CentOS 3.3 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

So it seems it may not be a widespread issue.

12. mygregory

mygregory Active Member

So where does that leave us?

That's 4 users all with the same confirmed problem. Are we not worthy of having this looked into? :confused:

13. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Someone mention free sex? :rolleyes:

I've got no answers just curious about a few things.
    How big are these backups you're trying to upload with your browser?
    What happens when you place that backup in the backups directory and attempt a restore via WHM?

14. UniteTechnology

UniteTechnology Registered

WHM 9.9.9 cPanel 9.9.9-S15 - SAME HERE

I have the same problem here on

WHM 9.9.9 cPanel 9.9.9-S15

There is a bug entry but it hasnt been assigned. Not sure what the usual routine for bug assigning is with cPanel!

http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=1761

I have loads of sites to migrate and the WHM migration tools is disabled (reseller account). I have done 2 sites manually and it takes too long.

I tested this in every way I know how. It is definately a bug! :(

15. sthapa

sthapa Member
    PartnerNOC

For now, I think you can work around the bug by uploading the backup to the home directory and extracting the files from the tar ball there. Using the file manager (in cpanel) or the shell should work.

16. mygregory

mygregory Active Member

Workarounds

If it was simple to workaround I wouldn't waste my time posting here.

1. You cannot use the CPanel File Manager because with that you can only untar INTO the home directory but what you are in fact untarring is the home directory itself. A more useful contribution would be a utility that will edit the tarball so that you are untarring the level below home directory.

2. Perhaps reseller shell access to all the subaccounts would allow one to replace the subaccounts home directories. However many many server administrators do not allow this

THE BOTTOM LINE is that resellers in particular have come to rely on this system, because they can keep backup copies for customers and deploy them in an emergency or easily move servers. If they cannot do so or it becomes infinitely more laborious then the moment they are caught short their customers could lose sites.

I would not use such strong terms as some users above, however at this point an official comment from CPanel staff would be more than appropriate.

My suspicion is that the problem lies in some of the server settings themselves and not in the client computer's platform. If you have the problem please post here, so at least we can get an idea of how widespread the issue is.

:)

17. adataman

adataman Member

Still cannot restore a home page directory

This appears to be either a bug, or a setting in WHM ( my guess ) . Apparently alot of people are having this problem. Unfortunately i lost my first client today as they needed to reload for disaster recovery from a home page backup they made. Could not reload it. This is not good.. Someone that knows how to fix this, or to talk to the appropriate person capable to fix this please help.

18. adataman

adataman Member

Restoring home page directory backup problems

Is anyone else having problems restoring a backup, Ive noticed that only a few reported it. Maybe everyone might want to try to restore one to see, maybe this is a wider spread problem than we think..

My question is how do we get resolution to this problem? The server admin where i have my sites hosted speaks in broken english via email, blames everything on the lunar and solar alignment..no help.. I cant call cpanel because I am not the a actual license holder of the cpanel software, just on a reseller server. I really want to get a solution for this, this is an option on cpanel and I should be able to use it. If it is broke, it needs to be fixed or removed as an option. Any further help would be appreciated greatly.

19. adataman

adataman Member

Still need help

Maybe my problem will just go away? It hasn't yet, Can someone here please help me with this problem, there has to be a solution, someone has to have an answer.
    Thanks

20. Stobe

Stobe Member

I'm having the same problem using CentOS and CP 9.9.9-R14

I can eliminate the question of the transfer getting cut off by a browser, since I watched the file upload in the /tmp directory using SSH.

I had this problem first with a 420MB backup, and when it failed, I just thought it was Cpanel's problem with big backups. But then I had the same problem with a 19 MB file??

Hopefully there is an answer out there.

-Stobe