The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fake multiple accounts for single site

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by pthirose, Dec 21, 2011.

1. pthirose

pthirose Member

I believe this coincides with "Multiple cPanel Logins (cPanel Subusers) [Case 44353]" feature request. But until/unless this FR is implemented, I'd like a quasi-decent workaround. If anyone has any suggestions on what they've done to simulate this, please post :)

So my quick thought was a front-end to the port 2083 website owner login interface. Handle authentication external to cPanel, say use good, old-fashioned Basic authentication built in to Apache. My personal usage would be CAS, but it really doesn't matter.

Auth into "my" login page, which then presents a list of cPanel sites the REMOTE_USER variable is associated with. User selects one of these sites. Then the actual cPanel account associated with the site is what actually logs in (silently) to cpanelserver.com:2083. Simply associating a site with multiple users (and this association obviously handled manually, outside of cPanel), would fake multiple accounts pointing to one site. The cPanel limitation on a site having only one owner would still apply, as the cPanel account that owns the site is what actually "logs in" to cPanel. My front-end is just used to figure out which cPanel account logs in.

Easier said than done, I'm sure :) I don't even know if cPanel allows for external authentication. And if it does, whether it simply uses REMOTE_USER variable, or there's an extensive API associated with it, that I'd need to investigate and figure out what variable/value to pass on.

There's been discussion about this type of feature for a while, and I'm hoping others may have devised their own local implementation, or at least thought of it (and perhaps abandoned it as too much.) Perhaps to dissuade me from trying :) or providing snippets of code for as far as you've gotten.

Or maybe cPanel developers will lemme know "don't bother, it's coming soon" :)

Thank you,
    PH