The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fantastico and Blue Lagoon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vlus, Nov 10, 2003.

1. vlus

vlus Member

I use the Feature Manager of WHM to assign/restrict features of my various resold plans, which use the Blue Lagoon theme (supports Feature Manager).

My parent host has now added Fantastico into the Blue Lagoon theme, which is now showing up in all my plans, yet when I check the Feature Manager List it does not show up.

I explained to my parent host that I very much want to exclude it from my resold plans until I get a handle on the different features, paths to support, etc.

This way I can beta run the different features under my own account until I am comfortable with them, and then include fantastico in only my higher end accounts using Feature Manager.

My parent host replied as follows:

"Fantastico is added into the theme and is not assigned via an official "feature manager" since this is not a cPanel product. The best thing to do is to post a message on cPanel's forums requesting this be added into Feature manager and hope that they include it into a future release."

Is there any way my parent host can get this into Feature Manager. I definately do NOT want my customers getting in over their heads with some of these scripts until I get a chance to go through them. I also will not want to include them in my most basic plans. It does not seem unreasonable to request an ability within Feature Manager to turn on/off such a powerful set of features.

Please help!
    Vic

2. vlus

vlus Member

That sucks. I hope you will reconsider this position, as I don't want to be forced into what features I choose to make available to my customers.

3. RaveKnights

RaveKnights Well-Known Member

4. vlus

vlus Member

So apparantly, you are saying you will not add Fantastico to the Feature Manager because it is not cPanel software.

I would respond to that by saying that much of the good features of cPanel are from outside sources, and it is a disservice to not put this inside the Feature Manager.

As an alternative, is there a method by which my parent host can edit the Feature Manager to include it, so that I can disable it from certain Blue Lagoon packages?

Thank you for your consideration.

Vic

5. casey

casey Well-Known Member

From the fantastico control panel you can decide who gets access to it and who doesn't. Ask your host to go to the fantastico administration area and turn it off for your accounts.

6. vlus

vlus Member

I understand that much of the cPanel/WHM is editable by the parent host.

Can the Parent Host add a checkbox item to the Feature Manager to turn on/off a newly added feature such as Fantastico.

7. reddrake

reddrake Well-Known Member

cPanel shoudln't add support to fantastico. It would be good but its not there place. Its 3'd party. Now fantastico allows restrictions from usernames and resellers. You will have to ask them to restrict it. Maybe get two reseller accounts? One with fantastico enabled one with not.

Regards.
    Brian

8. vlus

vlus Member

I dont want cPanel to "support" fantastico per se'... I just want to be able to check or uncheck it from Feature Manager.

I've heard people use the reasoning that Fantastico is not cPanel software... realistically neither is just about everything else that is controlled from Feature Manager. The vast majority of the checkboxes within Feature Mananger control outside software. Fantastico should be no different... simple checkbox.

cPanel is just a control panel for controlling other softwares, features, etc. No reason to not be able to do this.

Your suggestion to run 2 reseller accounts, would, of course work, but is a bit like killing a fly with a gun. The solution is rather straight forward... just need either cPanel to add a checkbox, or someone to explain how to do it.

Someone, somewhere knows how to do this.

vic

9. RaveKnights

RaveKnights Well-Known Member

vic,

casey has the best and only solution to your issue here.

It is the person who installed Fantastico on the server you need to deal with here as well.

cPanel does not install Fantastico so why make more work for them. Now if cPanel were responsible for Fantastico that would be a different story, but there not. Please take casey advice.

RaveKnights

10. techark

techark Well-Known Member

The simple solution to your problem is to ask your host to clone the bluelagogon theme for you and not add the fantastico link to the new one. That way you can offer your clients a version with or without it.

If your host will not do that then the problem is with them and not cpanel find a new host.

11. casey

casey Well-Known Member

You're also confusing fantastico with cpanel included 3rd party scripts. Fantastico does not come with cpanel. It is not part of cpanel. It is an addon 3rd party script. A darn good one, indeed, but cpanel has nothing to do with it. You can turn off other features with the feature manager because they are included in the cpanel package.