The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fantastico / cpanel blogs etc.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HH-Steven, Mar 5, 2005.

1. HH-Steven

HH-Steven Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, i have been a helper on a charity / non profit site for a while now and im interested in helping some of the less fortunate members who cant afford full blown hosting etc... out.

My question is :

Can the packages used by fantastico / cpanel for blogs / cms / forums etc.... be seperated and made public?

I.e use something along the lines of the fantastico auto installer (but with more details from the end user needed) to let the public request blogs / cms and have it autoinstalled for them?

My thoughts behind this are that it wouldnt be too hard as the basics are already there, would i be right in thinking that the major hurdle would be permissions wise? as they are currently behind "closed doors" as such.

Im willing to pay something towards this if it needs to be created.

The main ones im looking at is installation for :

b2evolution
    Nucleus
    WordPress
    Drupal
    Geeklog

And possibly mambo and phpnuke (but the above 5 blogs are the most requested and needed)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this.

::edit:: as i mentioned, this is a charity / non profit site and im not charging for this service or wanting anything in return for it.

2. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

As far as I know most all of those mentioned programs are Open Source and free to begin with for use on your web sites. You don't need cPanel or Fantastico to install or run those. All you need in most cases is server specs that are consistant with the authors requirments.

3. HH-Steven

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I understand that, but what im wanting to do is use some form of web based form that asks for the users details then installs the software and emails both the server admin and the user.

Something like the fantastico installations but public.

4. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

"public" ??? humm. Fantastico is public. You lost me unless you mean
    public= free??

If that's not what you meant then what's wrong with fantastico?

5. HH-Steven

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Fantasico isnt public though as youd need a cpanel login to access and use it, i.e server admin or client.

Example of what i want :

1.) User goes to http://domain.tld/signup.php

2.) Fills in details (name/age/email) etc......

3.) Form gets submitted, software gets installed, Email gets sent to user with login and url details, admin receives duplicate.

Sort of like those PHPBB / IPB free forum hosting scripts you see scattered around.

6. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

so you are saying you would let people install scripts on your server without having an account?. Am I missing something?

7. HH-Steven

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, but strictly access to that blog / cms only, no ftp or cpanel access would be included.

The only thing they would be able to access would be the admin section of the installation so that they could edit the content etc....

8. blackice

blackice Active Member

I'm thinking with a complex Perl/Python script it might be possible, but i'm not aware of any such scripts that exist atm....

And you pretty much have to make users have an account, or administration becomes a complete and utter nightmare. :eek:
    Oh, and you'd need to have something that checked you still had some space left, resources left etc.... meh. Or your server'll be nuked within a day :rolleyes: thanks to the completely immature internet population of script kiddies etc..

Tough suggestion tbh.