Fantastico De Luxe 2.8.2 with Soholaunch Pro sitebuilder

SarcNBit

Oct 14, 2003
gorilla said:
SarcNBit , so what you think about this one then ?
The Windows/IE only requirement is troublesome, but not that big of a deal. The vast majority of end-users that ask for 'site builder' solutions are Windows/IE users.

The phpsuexec issue is a show stopper for us. Until that gets straightened out, we will only be able to run soho on a test server and will not continue to use it beyond the 90 day trial.

Overall I tend to be in the camp that says 'If you do not want to use it, do not use it. Do not yell at Netenberg for offering it'. I can understand those that are worried about the storage/bandwidth overhead of a Fantastico loaded with products that you do not wish to offer, but I do not share these concerns. My concerns are that Netenberg is going to get swamped with support issues related to a product that we will not be offering (at least until the phpsuexec issues get worked out), and that we are going to start seeing Fantastico become the 'messenger' of a new wave of 3rd party subscription required products. Besides the privacy concerns (how exactly does soholaunch validate fantastico authorized IPs? I do not remember seeing a notice that said that Netenberg would share my IP addresses with 3rd parties), I simply do not want to do business with outside companies in order to offer a full featured Fantastico. I would prefer to; pay that money directly to Netenberg, look to Netenberg for all support related issues and let Netenberg handle the back-end. That is what I would expect from a in-house developed product.

I also tend to think that the soho product overlaps with offerings from both cPanel and Netenberg itself. I understand you can limit your soho offering so it is not much to talk about, but we do not really need a package with the add-ons offered by soholaunch. I am sure some companies appreciate the complete offering, but we prefer to limit our 'site builder' package to more of a 'presence builder'.

kosmo

Verifed Vendor
Aug 12, 2001
All over Europe
SarcNBit said:
SarcNBit,

I agree to most your points therefore some clarifications:

1) Fantastico 2.x will wget all files no matter if you select to offer a script or not. This will change in Fantastico 3.x but until then I appreciate your patience and I expect a little common sense about used resources.

2) We do not share our licensed IPs database with Soholaunch. We have just enabled a single IP query, which will tell them if an IP is licensed or not (and if it is prior to Oct 26 2004 or not). This is very similar (or almost the same) to http://layer1.cpanel.net/verify/

3) We offer installation of several scripts that our customers do want or do not want. A significant percentage of our clients does not like PHPNuke while the slight majority does. Still we didn't see such a passionate discusssion about PHPNuke like we see about Soholaunch.

4) The phpsuexec compatibility is something we investigate. There will be news available about it very soon.

5) We had several support requests regarding INSTALLATION of Soholaunch (regarding the core Fantastico functions) but none about Soholaunch itself. We have the experience and the will to distinguish between them and point irritated customers to the correct direction.

6) Oversee the limitations (Windows/IE, which limitations I hate) and you will see that Soholaunch is an excellent product (but this is of course my subjective opinion). You will understand our choice to autoinstall Soholaunch and you will understand why we were in contact with Soholaunch for months in order to find the appropriate pricing for our customers.

7) We will not offer 3rd party commercial software unless there is a significant demand (Soholaunch was proposed by a number of customers in our forums and through emails) or in case we see an advantage for our customers (like the Kanoodle integration). Our most important asset is our customers and we are here to serve them.

I would also appreciate it very much if the discussion continues in the netenberg forums as that is the appropriate place for such a discussion. As you have noticed, we have an open forum which respects all opinions and you are free to post there.

kosmo

Last edited:

SarcNBit

Oct 14, 2003
kosmo said:
2) We do not share our licensed IPs database with Soholaunch. We have just enabled a single IP query, which will tell them if an IP is licensed or not (and if it is prior to Oct 26 2004 or not). This is very similar (or almost the same) to http://layer1.cpanel.net/verify/
Thank you for the clarification. I suspected it was something like that, but I was thrown off by the difference between new and existing (as of Oct. 26th) licenses.

mr.wonderful

BANNED
Feb 1, 2004
Wonder what kind of kickback Kosmo is getting. Each license, each product sold? Hmm! No wonder his promoting it like nothing else his every promoted before. ;)

kosmo

Verifed Vendor
Aug 12, 2001
All over Europe
I get a 0% commission on every SL license/product sold. The only kickback is the 20% discount for Fantastico customers.

kosmo

SarcNBit

Oct 14, 2003
kosmo said:
I get a 0% commission on every SL license/product sold. The only kickback is the 20% discount for Fantastico customers.
I am very sorry to hear that. I would have thought that soholaunch would of at least offered an affiliate program you could have become a part of. You need a better agent ;) , after all, it isn't like soholaunch is relying on donations. Even with a change in their pricing model for Fantastico subscribers it is still 'found money'.

Sounds to me like a reason to continue with development of your own solution. :D There is nothing wrong with taking care of the customer and making a little dosh. :cool: