The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fantastico in Cpanel Question.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NeoGreen, Oct 25, 2006.

1. NeoGreen

NeoGreen Member

I am really new at using CPanel so please bare with me. I was browsing through CPanel and I noticed Fantastico. I clicked on it and it took me to a page in what it looks like you can install pre written scripts for all kinds of services for your website. Is this correct? Any information will help. thanks.:)

2. mackers8923

mackers8923 Member

Thats exactly what it is a series of pre written scripts that give you added dimensions to your server and of course it allows you to offer more if your re-selling your services.

3. randomuser

randomuser Well-Known Member

Beware that providing all the available scripts in Fantastico will reduce the security of your server immensely and immediately.

http://www.netenberg.com/fantastico_scripts.php

I'd be willing to bet at least 50% of those scripts have had serious security issues at some point. If you don't absolutely need Fantastico, I wouldn't use it. Netenberg doesn't force the vendors of those scripts to provide any quality assurance results for their code, and as a result of the poor quality code in most of those scripts, servers are constantly hacked.

4. NeoGreen

NeoGreen Member

It looks like a good tool to use but it seems that it might be unreliable as far as security. I think I'll stick to uploading files instead. thanks for the info. :)