The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fantastico or CPSkins Auto Installer???

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by Snowman30, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Snowman30

Snowman30 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I dont want this to be a mines better than your competition or anything, id just like some honest evaluations from current users of both Fantastico and CPSkins Auto Installer, and any other sout there that i dont know about....

what are the benefits, downsides of both.

I am looking to offer all my resellers some form of autoinstaller and want to make an educated decision before investing in one or the other...

any comments or suggestions???

(no it rocks type comments please... be constructive)

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: advice please

2. Devil Inside

Devil Inside Well-Known Member

:)

So far I'm really likeing Fantastico.

IT ROCKS! ;)

I enjoy the latest features added to it in the 2.5 De Luxe release- being able to view all applications installed by Fantastico at a glance is perfect for finding security holes.

Let's me know which user installed what - and when I security patch is released for it. I can fix it.

I don't know about CPSkins - but Fantastico also now allows you to install directly into the public_html directory as well as into addon domain directories for better functionality.

So overall, I'm really happy with Fantastico. Though I think a few different applications might be better than what is offered...

3. ricoche

ricoche Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I have both Fantastico and AutoInstaller. Most of my customers seem to use Fantastico more because the scripts and installer are updated more frequently.

Regarding the AutoInstaller, I like it very much but wish the installer would be updated more often and that the support forums were more active. I don't get many replies which is a cause for concern.

If I had a choice I would probably go with Fantastico due to the support and updates.

#3 ricoche, Dec 18, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2003
  4. tmvnews

tmvnews Well-Known Member

If you watch our site over the next few days you will see a lot of changes including the forums. Watch for a special to be announce this weekend ;) and updates.

5. ricoche

ricoche Well-Known Member

The script updates for Fantastico are just that....Fantastico. Already I have had several customers install with Autoinstaller only to find out that the script is out of date. PHPlist is one good example. Since upgrading to Fantastico v2.5 a couple of weeks ago, I have had several updates that have fixed security issues or updated the current scripts.

Perhaps I am the only one, but my customers get very sensitive when using Fantastico or Autoinstaller. They really want updated scripts whenever possible.

Thank you Kosmo very a job well done with Fantastico!!!

6. jackal

jackal Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

We have Fantastico installed on numerous servers and we could not be more happy with the product. Customer Service and support are always top notch when and if we need help which is rarely. We really never surfed their forums until 2.5 came out. One thing we learned from surfing is that when a customer had a question there were answers quickly given by the staff.

So our hat is off to Kosmo and the gang!!!
    :) :cool:

#6 jackal, Dec 27, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2004
  7. rsaylor

rsaylor Well-Known Member

Take a look at my own version of a auto installer.

http://www.thesourcematrix.com

The software is currently free and all the scripts available are current release levels to the public. I plan to do updates every 3 to 6 months to offer the latest of the available scripts.

8. manlius.com

manlius.com Active Member

I have installed SouceMatrix on all of my cPanel servers, it is great. The best part is that it is fairly easy to add scripts to is as well.

Keep up the great work Robert!

Thanks
    Kevin

#8 manlius.com, Feb 6, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2004
  9. Getox

Getox BANNED

i use Fantasico
    and it is sweet, easy to update and there is now over 20 scripts to install including support desk's live support scripts, forums, blogs and more!
    best of all i got it free with my ev1servers.net server

10. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

We offer Fantastico and SM right now. There are plans in the near future though to go forward with RVSkins and their auto-installer. Though I am not a big fan of the pre-installed scripts it has reduced customer tickets because they can use these.

11. Coffeymate

Coffeymate Active Member

I can't rave enough about Fantastico and X Controller since we acquired it for one of our servers.

Our clients are thrilled. The service is superb and prompt. They tend to respond almost before you can leave their forum if you post a problem or question. They keep their cool, maintain good humor in the face of idiots who fail to read the fix already posted (I can be just as much an idiot as the next guy, thankyouverymuch. LOL ). They keep on top of this baby with stable updates to the various packages on a decent timeframe, in fact they've made as much as 20 updates in 43 days. That must be a programming record.

(Wish I could say the same for Cpanel. :p but I love it anyhow and haven't found anything better to do the job it does yet. )

12. anm

anm Member

Fantastico is the best. I have gained new customers because of it, new resellers because of it. Current customers love it because it gives them new toys to play with AND it makes them feel like you are continually doing something to add value to their hosting package, when all you are doing is clicking the update button.

Fantastico has added over 20 scripts in less than a year to the program, and from the evidence on their site more are coming.

Yes there are similar programs out there, but nothing that compares.