The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fantastico Or Installatron

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aushops, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Aushops

Aushops Member

Hi all,
    Does anyone have any recommendations in regards to which of these is the safest script installer on a dedicated server?
    I tried the Installatron Demonstration License on a VPS server & found it great as it has more scripts than Fantastico. Installatron is more up to date with the scripts etc as well.
    Their link is http://www.installatron.com if anyone is interested.

Regards
    Tony

2. Reacted

Reacted Active Member

Ive used fantastico for many years, if you are looking for saftey I think fantastico is the way to go. (hmm that rhymes.. i think ill sell that slogan to them). Good luck with your choice!

3. Bailey

Bailey Well-Known Member

Given the list of scripts at Installatron, I see a number of scripts I would be hesitant about, security-wise... I don't think I personally would classify Installatron as being more up-to-date or more secure.

Both packages offer scripts which are notorious for security issues. It comes down to which scripts you think your users will want to use? And which scripts you believe are sufficiently safe/secure to run on your servers.

For instance, my hosting company prohibits the Nukes because people just do not keep them up to date. Why open the door to that problem??? It saves us (and our clients) a lot of time and money to just not allow *nuke scripts... if we lose a few sales because of it, so be it... frankly I can't think of the last time anybody even asked about it. Nobody seems to miss them. *shrug* But by not allowing them, we've closed up a major security hole.

Well, phpNuke and PostNuke are available on both Installatron and Fantastico. When it comes down to it, the users must keep their installations patched, and if they don't do that patching, then it doesn't matter how it was installed, it's a security headache.

Only you know who your customers are and what they need........... and whether those needs can be/are being adequately met through other sites (rather than locally-installed scripts). If you really believe Installatron offers the scripts that your clients need (and that the scripts being offered are safe enough for your servers), then go for it. If you think Fantastico is a better fit, then go with Fantastico. They aren't identical products, so both of them aren't going to appeal to everybody.

:D Bailey

4. Aushops

Aushops Member

The data centre advised not to install Fantastico, but I agree in what you say about the actual scripts that pose the security risk.
    It's mainly for Joomla, Wordpress & a forum script.
    I think I will go with Installatron & limit the scripts the end user can install.
    Cheers