The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fatal: Cannot upgrade due to insufficient disk space ... You will need at least 1.6G to

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Emick, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Scott Emick

Scott Emick Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I have new install of cPanel using the vmdk download from cloudlinux. I am an experienced linux user, programmer , and network engineer. I have 9.7G free following updating the ip address and dns server and activating the server license. 9.7 GB free yet I get this disk space message!!!

fyi trying to convert our shared web hosting to cpanel has been so frustrating. I set up one cloud server already and when i went to the bank and came back I couldn't log in any more...Despite changing the root password immediately...All I did was add an external mysql database server. So anyway this post is about the space thing. I got it the first time I brought up the server that I lost root on and couldn't regain it despite rebooting in single user mode and resetting the password.

I thought this would work, not sure why it is so hard and there is no documentation on set up steps.

Thanks,
    Scott Emick

2. 24x7ss

24x7ss Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Can you provide me the df -h output so that i can help you further.

Regarding unable to login to the server It seems that there is some brute force attack on server which locks the root access of the server. Once you get the server root access then add your IP in bruteforce whitelist or disable that.

3. Scott Emick

Scott Emick Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I replied to this, not sure if this is moderated, I don't see my reply.

4. Scott Emick

Scott Emick Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    This must be a bug too, frustrating. Let me reply again.

I have tried to get started about 6 times now. The pre-built vmdk seems to have significant problems. If it is created with such limited disk space, how do I expand the disk space? Can the disk space be expanded while the server is online? I was in the process of trying to just install CentOS 6.6 x64 instead and use the install scripts.

I'm trying to go to cPanel/cloudlinux/WHM because I don't have time to maintain a web hosting infrastructure for linux and the skillset of the data center is mostly Microsoft, so I thought by going to cPanel it would make it easier for me to train them to manage (with cPanel doing some of the heavy lifting of updating and maintaining the OS).

So I guess my first question should be for me to get start and build a web server that uses and external mysql server that I already have, what is the best way to go?

I want to be able to rapidly add more web servers if needed and my engineers are not programmers I need them to be able to do this.

Thanks,
    Scott

5. Scott Emick

Scott Emick Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Ahh now I see it is moderated, ok.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I don't see any other replies to this thread. Please let us know the output from:

Code:
    df -h
    Also, is this a new installation or are accounts already active on this server?

Thank you.

7. Scott Emick

Scott Emick Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I am running the cpanel-universal-install.sea now on a new CentOS 6.6 x64 install on a 250 GB disk instead of using that preconfigured vmdk. So I can't run the disk space command at the moment. I just wanted to know if I'm heading in the right direction now.

- - - Updated - - -

at the time while running the VM from the vmdk df -h did show 9 GB free on dev/sda1 though. That VM has been deleted though.

8. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I suggest using the recommended partition setup described here:

Recommended partitions

Please ensure you post separate questions into their own threads for better visibility.

Thank you.

9. Scott Emick

Scott Emick Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Thanks I was going to do that if I have any further problems...It seems like the insufficient disk space is a bug with the appliance (vmdk)...I am having good results with both the script on a fresh CentOS install AND the cpanel centOS iso.
    Thanks!