The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fatal error or timeout .... please help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by operaphantom, Oct 22, 2010.

1. operaphantom

operaphantom Registered

Oct 22, 2010
    Hi guys, I REALLY need some help urgently!

this is my very first time using Cpanel/Whm on my friends' server; he's loaning it to me. I've run into some problems so for example, after a client creates a new account and they are directed to the Cpanel they all get the same error message that says:

"A fatal error or timeout occurred while processing this directive"

This is a forum for / and although it is not crucial to have it up and running as of right now I really need to get this sorted out without having to hire external help because it is a free site.
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Oct 2, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When receiving that error message, please click on it and provide the full error. Otherwise, please tail the cPanel error log during the account creation and provide the error found there:

tail -f /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log
  3. egillette

egillette Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

I was also receiving this error after a client had created an account (he has root privileges and can login to wHM to create accounts), and he just recently hired me to become his server administrator.

Well, he has a programmer who unable to access

After logging in as the root user (not sure why he provided the root user/pass to the programmer to access cPanel), cPanel gave him an error message about "unable to get UID for root" or something to that effect.

I knew from experience with cPanel this is because cPanel doesn't allow you to login to a user's cPanel as root (unless you have it configured to allow that).

So as it turns out the client had created a username for the domain in question that was the SAME as another username for another domain (I don't know how he did that without WHM spitting out an error).

I created a new user (cPanel for some reason won't just let you create a new user without first creating a domain and all that nonsense) with a fake domain like "" made the user have reseller privileges, and then changed ownership of the account to the new user, and also modify the account privileges so that the new username was able to be used.

To my dismay, WHM spit out an error telling me it couldn't copy the user_dna to the new username.

So I then changed the username again to something completely different, and that worked.

But then upon logging in, the programmer got a "fatal error while processing directive" followed by a blank cPanel page.

In checking the cPanel error log, it said something about it was unable to create a file in /home/username

I checked to see if that directory actually existed, and it did not.

I created the directory (mkdir [first 7 letters of username]), and then changed its permissions and such so it would be owned by that user and writable for that user (chown [user:user]).

When I logged into cPanel after that, everything worked.

Of course, cPanel is still complaining, and I don't know what the long term effects are of this, but at least it appears to be working. :rolleyes:

Okay so cPanel apparently puts a bunch of settings in that directory (/home/[user]/etc/), so I simply copied the settings from the old user, and everything works as expected now.

- Eric Gillette
    #3 egillette, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011