Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fatal error when trying to enable demo mode

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gwalter, Sep 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. gwalter

gwalter Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello,

I just installed cPanel on a new VPS and I just noticed that I am unable to activate demo mode on any account.
    cPanel 11.60.0.46, CentOS 6.9

Code:
    [2017-09-01 14:41:33 -0500] die [Internal Death while parsing [stdin] 3382] invalid group name specified: cpaneldemo at whostmgr/bin/whostmgr.pl line 1839.
     at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Sys/Group.pm line 30.
        Cpanel::Sys::Group::load("Cpanel::Sys::Group", "cpaneldemo") called at whostmgr/bin/whostmgr.pl line 1839
        main::dodemoacct() called at whostmgr/bin/whostmgr.pl line 575

invalid group name specified: cpaneldemo at whostmgr/bin/whostmgr.pl line 1839.
    [2017-09-01 14:41:33 -0500] warn [cpsrvd] The subprocess (whostmgr (whostmgr)) exited with an error: The subprocess reported error number 255 when it ended. at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Server/Handlers/SubProcess.pm line 156.
        Cpanel::Server::Handlers::SubProcess::_report_subprocess_errors(Cpanel::Server::Handlers::SubProcess=HASH(0x1f536c0)) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Server/Handlers/SubProcess.pm line 71
        Cpanel::Server::Handlers::SubProcess::handler(Cpanel::Server::Handlers::SubProcess=HASH(0x1f536c0), "subprocess_name", "whostmgr (whostmgr)", "subprocess_read_handle", IO::Handle=GLOB(0x1f543f8), "subprocess_write_handle", IO::Handle=GLOB(0x1f537e0), "api_type", "html", ...) called at cpsrvd.pl line 6459
        cpanel::cpsrvd::cpHandler("app", "whostmgr", "json", 0, "document", "./scripts/dodemoacct") called at cpsrvd.pl line 5668
        cpanel::cpsrvd::dodoc_whostmgrd() called at cpsrvd.pl line 1594
        cpanel::cpsrvd::dodoc(HASH(0x13a1ec0)) called at cpsrvd.pl line 1352
        cpanel::cpsrvd::handle_one_connection() called at cpsrvd.pl line 844
        cpanel::cpsrvd::script() called at cpsrvd.pl line 320

I have setup thousands of servers before and have never seen such thing. there is no cpaneldemo on /etc/group. I am wondering if I add this group maybe demo mode would work ? But why is there no cpaneldemo group after installation ? Everything else looks fine...

2. gwalter

gwalter Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I was able to enable demo mode on an user after manually creating the group 'cpaneldemo'.
    But I still wonder what went wrong that this group wasn't created before or if I am breaking anything by manually creathing the group...

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Here's an example of the default entry for "cpaneldemo" in the /etc/group file:

Code:
    # grep demo /etc/group
    cpaneldemo:x:1002:

I'm unable to reproduce this issue on a test system. Can you verify if you see any error messages in /var/log/cpanel-install.log related to the /etc/group file?

Thank you.