The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fatal! Write Failure: /etc/valiases/domain.tld

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Latox, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Latox

Latox Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    It is only happening on this domain name, all others are fine.

This is a new server, and a new cpanel install.

I have tried doing script /scripts/upcp --force but it still makes no difference.

Here is a bit of info that might help you:
    Domain: 30.com.au
    Hostname: 30.com.au

I change the hostname to cheeky.30.com.au, and I go back to change hostname, it still says cheeky.30.com.au.

I restart the server, check it again and it has reverted back to the old hostname of "30.com.au". I check the forwarders in my cPanel account for this domain, those are gone too and the error "Fatal! Write Failure: /etc/valiases/30.com.au" is back.

I've even tried running "hostname cheeky.30.com.au" in SSH, still no joy.

I run /scripts/fixvaliases and it allows me to add forwarders, I restart the server, and it deletes the forwarders again.

I have no idea why the hostname is reverting back to 30.com.au, nor why the forwarders keep being deleted and this error keeps popping up.

I think my host set up the server with the hostname as 30.com.au - but I asked them to change it to cheeky.30.com.au

I have looked in and modified:
    /etc/hosts
    /etc/sysconfig/network

I have set the hostname in here, rebooted the server and it has reverted back to 30.com.au

My main problem is getting the forwarders fixed, the next problem is fixing the hostname.

Why is this happening? I have read everywhere and I can't seem to fix it. I hope my information helped you.

Please help :(

#1 Latox, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
  2. Latox

Latox Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Re: Fatal! Write Failure: /etc/valiases/domain.tld - HELP!!! Weird!!!

Bump.

I read a post on the internet about /etc/localdomains - I checked in here and 30.com.au wasn't in here, I added it in here and the forwarders have seem to stuck thus far, I don't know if this was the problem.. I just need to fix the hostname now.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Is the server a VPS, such as OpenVZ or Virtuozzo? You can use the following command to determine the type of server you are using:

Code:
    # uname -srvmpio && grep -H '' /etc/redhat-release /var/cpanel/envtype
    If this is a VPS server, please contact your VPS hosting provider and let them know your hostname needs to be updated at the hardware node.

Thank you.

4. Latox

Latox Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi Michael,

Here is the response:

It seems I cannot change the hostname, and when I do and then reboot the server, all of the forwarders get deleted for this domain name in my cpanel account, the domain name is removed from /etc/localdomains and my MX entry is also removed under DNS zones in WHM.

Could this hostname thing be the cause of all of these problems?

I am going to call my provider now.

I look forward to your reply.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, you will need to have your VPS provider update your hostname on the hardware node. This will ensure the correct hostname is used when the VPS is rebooted. If it's getting rebooted with the old hostname that is the domain name of an account, it's likely the cause of the other problems you are reporting.

Thank you.