Fatal! Write Failure: /etc/valiases/mydomain.com

organic

Apr 26, 2009
Hi there,

I have a strange problem with just one of my client accounts: Forwarders cannot be added. If I manually chown /etc/valiases/mydomain.com with the users username, I can add a forwarder - However, during one of the cPanel CRON jobs, the /etc/valiases/mydomain.com file is removed, and the problem begins again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

JaredR.

Feb 25, 2010
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Run the following command from the shell as root:

Code:
# tail -f /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log
and try to add a forwarder while it is running. After trying to add the forwarder, press Ctrl+C to stop the tail command. What is the output from tail-ing the error_log file?

What are the ownerships, permissions and attributes on the /etc/valiases/mydomain.com file? Please provide the output from the following commands (munge the filename if desired):

Code:
# ls -alh /etc/valiases/mydomain.com
# lsattr /etc/valiases/mydomain.com

organic

Apr 26, 2009
Hi Jared,

I attempted to do as you asked, however there were no logs generated that were visible through tail, so there is nothing I can paste in here that's useful - The cPanel interface simply balks with the write error and that's it.

To remedy the issue, as it is a support email address, I manually create the /etc/valiases/mydomain.com file, and chown it as the correct user, however during one of the nightly system sweeps, it is deleted, and I have to do it again... I'm at a loss...

madaboutlinux

Jan 24, 2005
Earth
What is the cPanel theme are you using for that specific account? Try changing it to x3 incase you are using 'x' OR vice-versa.

BTW, when you receive an error in cPanel, do you see any errors in the cPanel logs?

tail -f /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log
I am aware you have checked that already but just wanted to make sure.

JaredR.

Feb 25, 2010
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
If madaboutlinux's suggestion does not help (switching from X to X3 if this has not already been done), please submit a ticket so that we may look at this directly. This appears to be an unusual situation and we would like to look at the server to determine the cause.