The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fatal! Write Failure: /etc/valiases/mydomain.com

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by organic, Aug 26, 2010.

1. organic

organic Member

Hi there,

I have a strange problem with just one of my client accounts: Forwarders cannot be added. If I manually chown /etc/valiases/mydomain.com with the users username, I can add a forwarder - However, during one of the cPanel CRON jobs, the /etc/valiases/mydomain.com file is removed, and the problem begins again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Run the following command from the shell as root:

Code:
    # tail -f /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log
    and try to add a forwarder while it is running. After trying to add the forwarder, press Ctrl+C to stop the tail command. What is the output from tail-ing the error_log file?

What are the ownerships, permissions and attributes on the /etc/valiases/mydomain.com file? Please provide the output from the following commands (munge the filename if desired):

Code:
    # ls -alh /etc/valiases/mydomain.com
    # lsattr /etc/valiases/mydomain.com

3. organic

organic Member

Hi Jared,

I attempted to do as you asked, however there were no logs generated that were visible through tail, so there is nothing I can paste in here that's useful - The cPanel interface simply balks with the write error and that's it.

To remedy the issue, as it is a support email address, I manually create the /etc/valiases/mydomain.com file, and chown it as the correct user, however during one of the nightly system sweeps, it is deleted, and I have to do it again... I'm at a loss...

4. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

What is the cPanel theme are you using for that specific account? Try changing it to x3 incase you are using 'x' OR vice-versa.

BTW, when you receive an error in cPanel, do you see any errors in the cPanel logs?

I am aware you have checked that already but just wanted to make sure.

5. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If madaboutlinux's suggestion does not help (switching from X to X3 if this has not already been done), please submit a ticket so that we may look at this directly. This appears to be an unusual situation and we would like to look at the server to determine the cause.