The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fatal! Write Failure: /etc/valiases/ - Please Help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by knipper, Apr 20, 2004.

1. knipper

knipper Well-Known Member

OK gang....

New issue: I have the following error in CPanel:

Fatal! Write Failure: /etc/valiases/subdomain.mydomain.com. Ignore any messages of success this can only result in failure!

Here's the story, I got a new server and prior to that I had changed the DNS on my old server to the new server IP's to speed up propegation. Not sure if that caused anything....

When setting up WHM. I placed subdomain.mydomain.com as the hostname, and my NS servers as well.

I then created my account, adding subdomains for NS1, NS2 and subdomain (my hostname)

I sent myself a test e-mail to the main account and didn't get it... so I logged into cPanel and saw the above error.

I checked a few forums that stated to check for corrupted or missing /etc/valiases files.

I was missing the file for subdomain.mydomain.com, but the others were there. (mydomain.com, ns1.mydomain.com,ns2.mydomain.com)

So I created a valiases file for subdomain.mydomain.com which matched my other files. Restarted Exim, POP3, etc. but still see the error in cpanel.

Do I need to restart any other services, or does anyone have any suggestions?:(

Thanks in advance! :)

2. knipper

update

I forgot to mention I had run /scripts/fixvaliases as well.

OK.... I realized I had not chown'd the file to the account... it was still owned by root. SO.... I did that, which made the error go away.

However I am still not getting e-mail. Any ideas?

Thx.

3. fizz

fizz Well-Known Member

while shelled into the server
    tail -f /var/log/exim_mainlog
    and then send yourself a test message, and post the results of what shows in the log for that here so we can help aid in whats causing this.

If nothing hits the server, then 1 of a few things is happening.
    1. DNS hasnt fully propogated?
    2. MX record incorrect
    3. Mail being blocked from senders end

Let us know.

4. knipper

OK....

I'm a moron! I had changed my nameservers with my registrar and the DNS had propegated to my new server.

I was sending mail from a domain on my old server.... but the domain/account in question still lived on my old server... so it was trying to deliver it locally. As soon as I removed the account from the old server, and sent it... no problem!

Thanks Fizz for getting my brain workin' again!