Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Fatal! Write Failure: /etc/valiases/

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thobarn, Mar 12, 2009.

1. thobarn

thobarn Well-Known Member

Fatal! Write Failure: /etc/valiases/[sub.whmmainhost.tld]. Ignore any messages of success this can only result in failure!

What is this? I saw other threads related to this but it is not really clear why this is happenning. sub.whmmainhost.tld does not appear in /etc/valiases but it does not have any email anyways.

I think the error sentence "Ignore any messages of success this can only result in failure!" missing a word or two and it should also be made clearer; failure of what? Whole server, all emails, emails to that domain?

cPanel 11.24.4-S33345 - WHM 11.24.2 - X 3.9

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

That means the ownership and/or permissions set on the file "/etc/valiases/DOMAIN.tld" are incorrect. Two ways to solve this problem:

cd /etc/valiases/
    chown USERNAME:mail /etc/valiases/DOMAIN.tld

or, ssh to the server and run the following command:
    /scripts/fixvaliases

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. thobarn

Thanks for taking time to reply.

The problem domain is a sub domain; the main one which appears under WHM -> Networking Setup -> Hostname, (say sub.hostname.tld). So there is no email account for that domain.

There is no [sub.hostname.tld] in /etc/valiases/ so nothing to chmod, just domain.tld ones for the ones created from within the WHM using "Create a New Account" function, including hostname.tld which has correct permissions and ownership. I receive the error message when I login to the hostname.tld cpanel. :confused:

I tried using /scripts/fixvaliases as was suggested in another thread but there is no difference. In desperation, I rolled back to stable branch, still the same.

Just to clarify: abc.com, abd.com, abe.com are account created within WHM. The WHM hostname is sub.abc.com. I login to abc.com CP and when I try to create an email account I receive the error. /etc/valiases contain 3 files: abc.com, abd.com, abe.com and have their respective OWNER:mail set correctly.

4. JPC-Shaun

JPC-Shaun Well-Known Member

Hi;

Try following:

1. login in as root via SSH
    2. If the file /etc/valiases/sub.domain.com does not exist , create the file and change the owner to the user name for sub.domain.com and change the group ownership to mail , using the following command.

chown USER:mail sub.domain.com

Observe in Cpanel the Error earlier will be disappeared.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. thobarn

This seems to have worked, in that the error message is gone. However, a new account appeared in the ConfigServer Mail Manage with the main hostname. Is this normal? I never had this before the error message started.

Thanks for your time and expertise.

6. aneest

aneest Registered

Thanks for the fix

Great.

Thanks for the detailed fixing steps.:)

7. beekeeper

beekeeper Active Member

Error when trying to delete forwarders

I have a similar problem.

When I try to delete a forwarder (test@abc.com >> account@gmail.com) using cpanel the following error is displayed and the forwarder still exists:

Fatal! Write Failure: /etc/valiases/gmail.com. Ignore any messages of success this can only result in failure!

It appears as if the script is trying to write to the wrong file; as far as I understand it should be writing to /etc/valiases/abc.com

I then tried creating a forwarder test1@abc.com >> test3@abc.com and deleting it. No error message however the forwarder still exists.

In all cases I can manually remove a forwarder through a shell session.

So now I feel as if the script is broken.

Any help would be appreciated.

8. beekeeper

beekeeper Active Member

Problem solved.

I was using Blue Lagoon theme which is now depreciated (and obviously partly broken).

Switching to X3 theme allows forwarders to be deleted properly.

9. Miraenda

Miraenda Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are you on a theme that isn't x3? If so, please try changing to x3 theme. I have a post discussing this as a possible issue:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f34/delete-email-forwarder-160962.html#post674278

If you are on x3 theme already for that account, then you may wish top open a technical support ticket to cPanel about it to check into it further. It could be ownership issues for the domain (it being owned by the wrong account). To submit a ticket, you can do it in WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel

10. beekeeper

beekeeper Active Member

Changing to X3 Theme fixed delete forwarders problem

Thanks for the speedy response Miraenda and yes changing themes has fixed my problem.

Time to update themes. :eek:

11. Miraenda

Miraenda Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Great to hear that fixed it :)