The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FD_SETSIZE- The Final Solution?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by theDOG, Jul 10, 2003.

1. theDOG

theDOG Member

No, i don't know what it is.

The first round of posts thoroughly confused me, so i've been ignoring the problem and simply killing Apache when it occurs. But it seems to have developed an uncanny awareness of when i've gone fishing or to sleep.

Search turns up the following solutions, among others:

1) Disable Zend Optimizer, because it leaves file descriptors around like empty beer cans and pizza boxes.

2) Do what the log actually says, and rebuild Apache with a larger FD_SETSIZE, which if (1) is correct, would seem to me only to serve to increase the timespan between failures.

3) Have Cron stop and start Apache in the middle of the night.

Is it one or more of the above, or something else entirely?

TIA
    JB
    :)

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. compunet2

compunet2 Well-Known Member

I do option 2 that you mentioned (rebuild apache with larger FD_SETSIZE), and it works fine for me. Option 1 will also reduce the number of crashes, but may leave some customers out in the cold.... I never found it necessary to stop & restart apache in the middle of the night.... I normally do it manually ever few weeks, and its worked well so far....

3. theDOG

theDOG Member

Thank ya, compunet2.

I've gone with option (3) temporarily, since i like fishing and sleeping entirely too much. I suppose i'll have to get around to rebuilding Apache and seeing about the Zend bug, eventually.

My followup question is, having never used the easyapache script and not knowing what to expect, is it actually easy? I mean do i need to tell it anything special in order to reproduce my default CPanel configuration?

I'm not at all fond of the idea of manually rebuilding Apache, in order to get back where i started, for one stoopit little configuration thing.

4. compunet2

compunet2 Well-Known Member

Like anything else, after you've done it enough times it gets easy :). First time, you may want to make sure you have a few days to hang around, so when someone tells you GD, Freetypes or something else their using isnt installed anymore, you can re-run it, and get it back for them.

To raise the limits, you'll need to choose option 6 (advanced). There you will need to check off everything you want installed (it doens't save the settings from the last build, so you need to re-check everything each time you rebuild, such as GD, php 4.31, etc).

5. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    And have your favourite Fishing magazine handy as well -- takes about 20 minutes to recompile. ;)