The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[feature request?] webmail logins, maybe

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jcn, Sep 25, 2003.

1. jcn

jcn Well-Known Member

So here's the situation. We provide our users with a generic webmail.ourdomain.com webmail site running squirrelmail. This was working great on our old ensim box, but in moving to cpanel, there's a difference between user accounts and pop accounts when logging in.

Specifically, the main user account for a domain would log in as "user" whereas a pop account user would log in as "popaccount@userdomain.com" which a) leads to confusion with our users and b) leads us to force people to include their return addresses lest they be left with "user@hostname.ourdomain.com" from addresses when sending mail from squirrelmail.

I discovered that we could drop an entry into the /home/user/etc/passwd|shadow files that pointed at the user's mail directory and let domain owners log in as user@domain.com.

HOWEVER

The first issue is that we now have another pop account that is showing up in their pop account manager that, if deleted, will prevent them from checking their mail this way. The other issue is trying to keep the passwords in sync with each other (between the real user account in /etc/passwd and the new, fake account in /home/user/etc/passwd).

So, basically, the question is if anyone has any ideas. If I can, in any way easier than this, let my users log into my webmail as "user@domain.com" or whether anything I'm thinking of is even remotely possible.

Nick? Anyone?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: