The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feature showing up in /cpanel when it shouldn't

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by ottdev, Dec 31, 2015.

1. ottdev

ottdev Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I started the process to add a custom plugin; not ready to put it live yet, so I have ensured that it is:
    - checked in 'disabled' feature package
    - unchecked in all other feature packages

After adding it, it appeared to be correct - I could access in both X3 theme and Paper Lantern. Then I disabled it, and it now correctly does not appear in Paper Lantern, but it incorrectly is still appearing in X3.

What have I missed doing ?
    (I realize X3 is soon to be deprecated, but at this time, most accounts are using it)

2. ottdev

ottdev Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    RESOLVED!
    I hadn't registered it yet since I was not ready to put it live.
    Once I ran register_cpanelplugin on my generated plugin file, the icon correctly disappeared from the X3 /cpanel as per its feature manager settings.

3. ottdev

ottdev Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Some of my confusion stems from what I am interpreting as inconsistent docs:
    Guide to cPanel Plugins - Add Plugins to cPanel & WHM Version 11.44 and Later - Software Development Kit - cPanel Documentation

This page says that using install.json method takes care of installing for both Paper Lantern AND X3

Page History - cPanel Plugin File Generator - 11.52 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

This recently updated page which creates your install.json for you says it's for paper lantern only and that you must still use the other (X3) generator as well and install that in a separate step.

#3 ottdev, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2015
  4. cPanelAdamF

cPanelAdamF cPanel Product Owner
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    We'll clarify the documentation on the page.

The /scripts/install_plugin script can indeed install plugins for both themes, x3 and paper lantern, however it won't do it at the same time. If you do not specify a --theme parameter, it will only install your plugin into paper lantern. If you specify --theme=x3 it will install into x3.