The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

feature suggestion for cpbackup

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by ANewDay, Jul 24, 2007.

1. ANewDay

ANewDay Well-Known Member

I don't want cpbackup to backup certain databases, would be nice to have a feature to select the databases to be backed up associated with each account. :)

2. jandafields

jandafields Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Put into bugzilla as a feature request so people can vote on it. I personally see this as a bad idea. An account backup should be just that, an account backup.

Why do you have databases that you don't care if they are lost in case of a failure and restore???

3. markhard

markhard Well-Known Member

ANewDay, what is your reason for asking this feature?

same with jandafields, i think cpbackup should backup everything that related to accounts. if you only need to backup some database, you can do it from cpanel.

4. ANewDay

Because I have a separate database ssh script that backs up the database and then gzips them. It also keeps 7 days of database backups, deletes anything older. Then, it rsync that gzip file to a remote server.

I don't want the same database to be locked up twice while backing up. Also, cpbackup doesn't zip the sql file. Cpanel backup certain databases has to be done manually, no automated solution

5. freedman

freedman Well-Known Member

well. it SHOULD be configurable, or it SHOULD do a more thorough job of backups.
    cpbackup seems more a "get the job done" rather and a "do a good job" kinda solution.

as for the rest of you, go here: http://www.day32.com/MySQL/

get mysql_backup.sh
    it's great... daily fulls and hourly incrementals is how mines configured.

6. ANewDay

Won't it lock the database while it's doing the incremental backup? Hourly would be too much if that's the case. :eek:

7. freedman

freedman Well-Known Member

that script uses mysqlhotcopy to do the actual database backup.
    I *believe* it does it one table at a time, and does a lock table prior to backing up the table.
    the tables are still available for reads, and I think writes just block while the lock is in place. I've got some tables that have millions of records and it's never been very long that a table was unavailable.

The ONLY option that I'm aware of for doing a mysql backup that wont block at all is to use innodb tables which cpanel doesn't support, in which case, the scrips I mentioned have an option to back those up live.