The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Features

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gunmuse, Jul 21, 2003.

1. gunmuse

gunmuse Well-Known Member

Ok I am one of the new RackShack Raid 5 Dual Pentium Customers and there needs to be some features added/and or fixed to help future customers like me out.

A interface with httpd.conf would be nice. They set Child process at 150 and min servers at 5 by default.

To go with this addition one benefit over Ensim would be a way to Benchmark wether or not the changes had a positive effect.

Shoutcast Compatability would be Sweet. Being able to assign ports to customers in the web admin and having them excuted automatically would be very helpful. I have one radio station client that uses 3 ports for streaming audio and it can be a pain to manage.

Work the whole setup into the admin number of listeners default audio files so on.

I am sure you can see the business benefits to picking up an whole class of web hosts in a specific industry no one else has addressed.

I was never able to get realaudio to work properly on a server with their new platform maybe you could address that as well.

Streaming video would be nice to address as well. Mpeg 4 compatiblity and management of video files.

Basically some Benchmark tools are needed to find out if your getting the most out of what you pay for. Harddrive speed testing plus the ablity to change the hda params Really get the most out of a server.

A server suggestion section. I.e. my swap is being overused recommend I add some more ram.

Forgot something. Raid 5 management. I have no clue how to manage this Raid 5 system or if its even tuned properly.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new server. I hope you put that sick rig to good use.
    I agree that an interface within WHM would be conventient for enditing httpd.conf; however how often do you really have to modify those settings? Probably not all that often. In my opinion that feature would further clutter the WHM interface.
    In what sense does Ensim benchmark your changes? Does it keep a record of requests per second, amount of memory used, etc each time you make a change to httpd.conf?
    Shoutcast might be a nice addon, but I doubt that 95% of the people who operate a cPanel box require this functionality. I would say this is a feature that you should either create an admin interface for or deal with the command line. If we keep adding to cPanel it will eventually become bloatware.

Let's keep in mind that cPanel isn't supposed to be an automated system administrator. You will still need medium-advanced system admin skills to properly admin a web hosting box. You can easily check hard disk speed via hdparm on the command line as well as apache performance numbers.

I would leave the defaults in place, tuning something you are unfamiliar with will probably yield incorrect results.

3. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Features

Well said!

4. gunmuse

Nice shootin Tex

Shot down all my ideas without breaking a sweat.

Nice Shootin Tex.

5. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

Re: Nice shootin Tex

Next time consider concocting a rebuttal rather than just being a bitch.

6. gunmuse

You know the problem with forums is no one can here your tone. It was meant to be funny not a bitch reread it that way you might see the humor.

7. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I agree. Many times people get the wrong idea from a post. When I read your post, then cipher's reply, I was thinking to myself "I don't think he meant it that way". I guess that's one reason for the smilies. :cool: