The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fedora 1 -> Fedora 2, necesary?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by latpanel, Apr 10, 2005.

1. latpanel

latpanel Well-Known Member

I wonder if I must update my box from Fedora 1 (2.4.25) to Fedora 2. I've read Fedora 2 have some advantages in security and speed.
    And if the answer is afirmative, is yum capable of make this upgrade? or does it exist any script in CPanel to make this upgrade?

All what I've found over the net speaking about FC1->FC2 says that the first thing is install yum for FC1, uninstall rpms, and ....

I've read a post about update FC1 to FC2 in CPanel, but this post is old: summer of 2004, and CPanel have suffered several updates from that time. This post speak about uninstall several packages, including exim.

Really I'm afraid to do a change in kernel, but I know that I must have software updated if I want a system with a strong security. :confused:

Any help?

2. Blue|Fusion

Blue|Fusion Well-Known Member

FC1 -> FC2 is not necessary, but it would increase speed, security, performance, where they fixed it up. I even ran FC3 on a box while I had it for a few months and worked like a charm.

I can do it for you or atleast assist, if you would like. Contact me via PM or AIM/MSN if you'd like. I;ve done an upgrade from RH9 -> FC1 -> FC2 -> FC3 and FC1 -> FC2 -> FC3, all with no problems.

EDIT:

I also forgot to mention, that you're correct in assuming YUM can be used to upgrade it. It's what I used :cool:

#2 Blue|Fusion, Apr 10, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  3. ghv

ghv Well-Known Member

I'd like to do this as well. The upgrade itself (via yum) is easy but I'd really like to see something that is up to date and covers cpanel specific issues (exim, etc.). Could someone
    please post a short summary of this or point us in the right direction?

As mentioned above, there is plenty of info on this around but all I have seen is not up to date.

Thanks

4. Sinewy

Sinewy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Umm? FC2 -> FC2?? ;)

I have done a few of these upgrades too. We had 1 DC not wanting to do FC2, so I had to do a lot of FC1 to FC2 upgrades...taking about 40 mins each.

Feel free to contact me if you want me to do it for you :)

5. Blue|Fusion

Thanks for pointing that out, sinewy :rolleyes:

Depending on the speed of your DC's network and geographical location, as well as how hard the fedora download servers are being it, it can take from half an hour to an hour and a half. It also too far longer on a 2.0GHz Celeron than a P4 3.2GHz, but that's expected with 600+ packages upgraded.

6. latpanel

latpanel Well-Known Member

Yes, but which is the way?

I'm not a guru in cPanel nor in Fedora. I've just updated my test box from redhat 9 to Fedora 1 (I'm proud of this feat :D ), but in this box I don't have cPanel, so....

From all what I've read about upgrade FC1 I guess (repeat I GUESS) that the first step is to download and install FC2 yum version and then do yum upgrade, but I don't know how to do this process and get cPanel (and all my soft) working: exim, mailman, mysql, php .... Must I exclude some software in the yum.conf file?

I don't like to waste all the night looking for solution for patch the problems that could appear. Because of that I would like that anybody post here the necesary steps to get a successful upgrading process.

Is there anybody that have done this upgrading recently?

Thanks

7. roboboer

roboboer Registered

How must this Yum.conf file look

I also have the same problem and can't figure out how this "yum.conf" must be edited that it is acceptable to cont installing cpanel. I use rh fedora core 1. I have already run yum update

8. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Core 1 to core 2 will be messy if at all possible. I have not attempted to do this, nor do I plan to. You folks should probably keep in mind that Fedora Core 2 ( Product End Of Life ) has just been passed along to the Fedora Legacy project, as test 2 of Fedora Core 4 was just released.

Further information:
    http://fedora.redhat.com/
    http://fedoralegacy.org/

My suggestion, stop wasting time updating cores, and switch to a solid distro.

9. StevenC

StevenC Well-Known Member

anybox with 600 packages is just plain out bloated. should have 400 at most. most boxes i work on have less then 350

10. Blue|Fusion

Well let me rephrase that. After all the upgrades from FC1 -> FC2-> FC3 or however it goes, it's about 600 packages overall updated, because I found that you can't go right from FC1 to FC3 because of some dependency and kernel problems.