The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fedora core 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MichaelShanks, Feb 3, 2005.

1. MichaelShanks

MichaelShanks Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

When is cpanel planning on supporting this (its not listed on the website)

I have it on my beta server currently and the only issue was libperl.so not being found by exim which was easily correctable.

Fedora core2 hits legacy on the 21st march and I want to get going with updates.

2. picoyak

picoyak Well-Known Member

I think they're struggling with selinux at the moment.

But I gotta say, the only reason I'm running FC now is due to confusion during server setup at the DC. No huge issue, I can work with whatever. But keeping up with Fedora lifetimes is a real PITA, and now I'm serously considering moving back to FreeBSD.

I've had no other real issues with Fedora Core [knock on wood], except for it's short short lifetime.

If you're staying with Linux, you might want to move over to CentOS. I've seen almost nothing but praise for it here.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about CentOS. Just seems to have a much more steady track of development.

3. Blue|Fusion

Blue|Fusion Well-Known Member

CentOS is technically Red Hat Enterprise, using their SRPMs, and modifying them to remove all Red Hat images. It's updated a few days behind RHEL is as they need to edit the SRPMs are they are relased. Atleast that is my understanding of it.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That's basically it. RHE contains some closed code which CentOS does not include (which isn't a problem) and is a much more stable solution (together with RHE):
    http://fedora.redhat.com/about/rhel.html

5. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Generally it only takes the CentOS team a couple of hours to release the updates. Some QA is involved of course, and it may take longer to release updates ( such as the major update releases that happen quarterly ), as some files require certain dependancies to be built as well and some require more work building than others.

6. MichaelShanks

MichaelShanks Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

any news cpanel team or should I enter a ticket? EOL for core2 is the 21st of March

7. irchs

irchs Well-Known Member

You can disable selinux on boot, using SELINUX=0 in your kernel parameters.

I am running FC3 without issue. :)

Jan

8. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

On a related subject, could anyone suggest how easy/smooth/troublefree it would be to upgrade from FC2 to FC3 (assuming this happens sometime in the future when FC3 works fine with Cpanel)?

Sorry that its probably a bit of a vague question, but then I've only a vague knowledge of such matters.

More to the point, is it possible/feasible to upgrade an installation of FC2 to FC3 on a live server, or would one have to install FC3 from scratch, or is this just a really silly question?

Similarly would it be possible/feasible to upgrade from FC2 to CentOS - I imagine that the answer is an almost definite no, but I thought I'd just check.

This is all assuming that I don't have direct access to the server and can only access it via SSH.

9. irchs

irchs Well-Known Member

I did the upgrade to FC3 on a live server without any problems.

I think the differences between FC and CentOS are too great for a direct distchange.

FC2 to FC3 is fine tho, I can do it for you if you like... for the right price :)

Or, you can look for "upgrade to fedora core 3 via yum" on google, lots of nice guides out there :)

Jan

10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you don't want to stick with Fedora, I know some have gone from FC2 to CentOS, but it's probably not for the fainthearted, and for all the trouble, you're probably better off having a new OS disk installed and mount the old OS disk as a slave and then migrate the data across using one of the several guides available - I've done this for a few clients.

11. StevenC

StevenC Well-Known Member

Moving to centos 3.4 is very very bumpy. Wait until cpanel supports centos 4 100%. Fedora core 2 to centos 4 is very smooth after a bump at start.

12. Sinewy

Sinewy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    cPanel with selinux disabled entirely on CentOS 4 seems to work. Been playing with it for a little while.

FC2 -> CentOS 3.4 = no no due to XFree -> xorg that yum isn't aware of apparently.
    FC2 -> CentOS 4 shouldn't be a problem, there aren't many dependency changes
    FC2 -> FC3 is dead easy.

13. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Been running centos v4 with cpanel now for 10 days and seems to work a lot faster and more stable than cpanel on Centos/RHEL v3

Just for now make sure the SELinux is disabled or not installed and it works great

Fixing to put 3 new servers online this afternoon (after the nascar race :) ) all will be on centos v4

14. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone for all the great replies!

I'll probably wait around until FC3 is listed as supported by Cpanel and then upgrade FC2 to FC3 at that stage.

Thanks again for all the truly invaluable replies.

15. Xenon101

Xenon101 Well-Known Member

Just a quick unote on FC3, I had the libperl.so problems on a clean install so installed CentOS 3.4 and really, much better.