The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fedora Core 4 Support?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Webjunkie, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Webjunkie

Webjunkie Active Member
    PartnerNOC

When is Cpanel expected to have Fedora Core 4 support? FC4 is coming out on Monday.

Thanks.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Unless someone happens by, you'll need to ask cPanel through their contact details on the site. Considering the extremely short shelf-life of each Fedora release (i.e. less than 6 months) it really is an OS recommended for developers who do not mind an unreliable OS, it's not for production servers. I wouldn't be surprised if support is a while in coming if cPanel doesn't work straightaway on it.

3. Webjunkie

Webjunkie Active Member
    PartnerNOC

It's not urgent for us since we use CentOS for our systems.

4. haze

haze Well-Known Member

I think it would be rather pointless and a waste of time personally to be porting cPanel to test releases of Fedora, mainly because of the tendancy for there to be drastic changes within the OS with each release. When Fedora 4 is released, I'd assume cPanel would start porting to it right away, but to be doing so beforehand would be pointless IMHO. The devel team usually gets their heads stuck into a new release fairly quickly, but keep in mind they need to ensure its production ready before they'll release it for public consumption.

5. Webjunkie

Webjunkie Active Member
    PartnerNOC

FC4 is being released on Monday. That's why I asked.

6. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Confused. If you are using CentOS, why care about the FC line? Stay with CentOS or go with RHE. Moving to FC in my opinion would be a step down.

7. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Where did you hear / read this ? According to the fedora schedule: http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule/ its set for Jun 13.

Although I'm not a big supporter of Fedora as a server OS, I think the project has come of age to a point whereby it will probably be considered by many. Especially seeing as the new core will have support for things such as Xen, I would say you would see quite a big interest in it this time around.

Core 1 - 3 were ok, 4 is getting there. The same arguements still apply however of course. It is a testing grounds for the Enterprise so you may end up having to rebooting to a new kernel and such weekly ( unless you build your own ). There are very big changes happening with the fedora project, one of which being the new Fedora Extra's.

Edit: Also, I have a feeling core to core upgrades will be a much more simple process now that its come "of age".

#7 haze, Jun 4, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2005
  8. Blue|Fusion

Blue|Fusion Well-Known Member

Hmm...they set the release date back. Up until yesterday, it was scheduled to be released this monday (6th).

And definately stick with CentOS or go RHEL :-D