The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fedora Install

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Markv, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Markv

Markv Member

Has anyone tried to do a Fedora core 1 install with cPanels Beta1 ? :confused:

#1 Markv, Dec 22, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2003
  2. Markv

Markv Member

My Installation Problems

My Fedora Core1 and cPanel install.

1st time
    1- Install a fresh clean Fedora Linux on a test box. Install was a minimum install with medium firewall default setting.
    Install went good!
    2- RE-Booted the box no problems with boot. Tried to access it thru web browser to see if server (Apache ) was working correctly. It was.
    3- I did a wget to layer 1 into the box;so /tmp folder. That went good.
    4- I did the install process with sh cpanel-fedora1-install.sea On watching the install I noticed a few errors
    but the went so quick didn't have time to note them. The install when good other then the few errors.
    5 - Tried to access the IP thru another web browser. It came up with the cPanel message " There is website configured at this address" screen. Then tried to access cPanel and whm (GRRR) I could not access either of them. I tried all the ports still no good. Gave up after trying everything I could.

2nd Install

6- Started a New Clean Fresh install. This time I installed RedHat 9 Minimum install Install went good. Then I rebooted the box with the Fedora Core 1 # 1 disc in the drawer and did an up-grade from RHL 9 to Fedora core1
    the up-grade seemed to do well ( so RedHat 9 can be up-graded to Fedora Core1) Re-Booted the box.. No 1 error on boot up encountered minor error so I let it go. Box booted perfectly. Tried to access the box thru web browser. Walaa
    Fedora's Core Test Page Came up. ( Umm Seems like it might work this time).. Did a wget from cpanel layer1 with the fedora1.sea. Did the install. Install seemed a little slow this time. I encountered a few minor 404 error's while it was looking the mirror sites. Installed completed. Re-Booted the box. pulled up the cpanel error page. (great it looks like it might work) went to WHM Walaa it came up! I did all the normal setup procedures which seemed to work as they should. Added an account. Then tried to access the web page no web site found! I noticed in the WHM that on top of WHM news it said " Could not get Apache Version your apache servers must not be running or is not accessible"
    tried to reboot apache apache rebooted o.k.. checked apache stats all seemed like it was working . everything said apache was running. I then went in to the httpd.conf file and changed the settings to were I wanted the files to go.. Did not work. I was still able to access WHM and cPanel.
    The message at the top of WHM was still there. I could not access the websites. ( was ready to scrub it) and try another OS. BUT! my persistence kept up. Did another install.

3rd Install

7- I installed a Fresh clean RedHatFedora Linux as I did in the second install. This time I turned off the fire wall when I installed RedHat 9 and did the minimum install but I also Picked out some packages to install separately.I added the RedHat httpd and server utilities.. Install went good. I then up graded the redhat install with the Fedora Core 1 disc# 1
    upgrade when well but this time Fedora Core1 asked me for disc # 2 and Disc # 3.. (uummm somthing different from before) in watching the install I noticed it up graded some gcc and lib files that were not installed in the second installation. Up Grade install when good checked it all out before installing cPanel. I did a cPanel install. cPanel install seemed a little faster this time and fewer errors. Install seemed to go good. I tried accessing WHM Walaaa accessed it. Did the normal setups Then added a few accounts. (truce time) went to access the web pages and Walaa they were there..:)) Wow it finally worked right. Well it's been up now for 24 hrs and everything seems to work as it should Except for 2 problems. Front page extensions will not install and I can not cluster the box with other cluster servers. Error I get when trying to install says I must use appache patch file for local installations.. ( ummm what could this mean) So I did a rebuild of apache with Front Page extension box checked and I checked a few others that i wanted. Did the build.apache. The apache build seemed to go as normal a few small errors here and there. but nothing I could see major. After apache rebooted I tried to install front page again Well got the same message and could not install Front Page.. I tried rebuilding apache several times, Still coming up with the same error.So I am going to mull on it and try to see why the cluster won't work.. when trying to ad a cluster server I get the message " can not load ssLeahy file not found.. That's where I am at right now! Going to take a break..:)

3. macian

macian Member

I may be wrong. but it appears that a large amount of the problem you were having with the first two installs was not with cpanel but that the firewall was blocking ports 2082 and 2086, which in turn, would prevent you from getting to whm or cpanel.

cheers
    sean