Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fetch mail from external mail provider?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by sushlik, Nov 3, 2017.

1. sushlik

sushlik Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

some of my clients would like to to fetch mails from their external hotmail-accounts (or other provider) into their cpanel-account.

How can I provide them such a function?

Thank you and kind regards,
    Sascha

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

How are the users accessing their email account on the cPanel server? Is it through a specific webmail application, or a desktop email client? Are they using IMAP or POP3?

Thank you.

3. GrandAdmiral

GrandAdmiral Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Depending on the provider you have a few options:
    • To receive all future emails from the alternate provider use their native forwarding function. I've only come across one external provider who didn't have this functionality baked in, quick and simple solution.
    • To retrieve previous emails you can install imapsync on your server (or an external Linux machine/VM) and pull the current contents of the external mailbox across. Paired with the forwarding arrangement above this is an easy way to transfer existing contents to a new email address, it will even move folders
    • For ongoing forwarding with a provider which DOESN'T provide native forwarding it gets a little trickier. I have one client in this situation, the solution was to install fetchmail and configure it (via .fetchmailrc, a forwarder and a cronjob) to check the external account every 5 minutes and retrieve any new mail. Use the following config for maximum cpanel compatibility including antispam checking
    Code:
    set no bouncemail
    defaults:
      antispam -1
      batchlimit 100
    poll mail.example.com with protocol pop3
    user externalmail@example.com password YourPlaintextPassword is "arbitraryforwarder@example.com"
    fetchall
    no rewrite
    mda "/usr/sbin/sendmail -i -f %F -- %T";
    The arbitraryforwarder@example.com should be a standalone cpanel forwarder set to forward to the final destination account, this ensures the email is passed through the standard delivery path and is subject to antispam checks.