InDeep

Feb 28, 2006
So after installing ffmpeg with whm xtra (and manually once to) I am a little stuck. I know that I am very close to having it setup.. Just missing one thing

In /usr/local/zend/etc/php.ini it reads

extension=/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20020429/ffmpeg.so

However browsing to that directory and I dont see ffmpeg.so.. Its an emptry directory. Where is ffmpeg.so and is this why I dont see anything when i run the phpinfo(); on my server?

When i run this test

php -r .phpinfo(); | grep ffmpeg

PWD => /ffmpeg
_SERVER["PWD"] => /ffmpeg
_ENV["PWD"] => /ffmpeg

That is my outcome, I am assuming that ffmpeg is installed and working correctly and its the php im having issues with. I am running php 5.2.1 on centos

Please excuse these questions if they are as dumb as a feel right now, this is a new process for me :):confused:

- Brandon

InDeep

Feb 28, 2006
ooops... I need to clarify something

Everything is as it should be with phpinfo(); on my server accept i dont see anything about ffmpeg :D

Thanks again!

Brandon

AndyReed

PartnerNOC
May 29, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
php -r .phpinfo(); | grep ffmpeg

PWD => /ffmpeg
_SERVER["PWD"] => /ffmpeg
_ENV["PWD"] => /ffmpeg

That is my outcome, I am assuming that ffmpeg is installed and working correctly and its the php im having issues with. I am running php 5.2.1 on centos
I have never tried installing FFmpeg from the WHM. Just in case you hit a dead-end, try installing FFmpeg manually. HowTo instructions at: http://servertune.com/kbase/entry/133/

InDeep

Feb 28, 2006
I tried it manually to, I guess what I am not understanding is that in the php.ini all the docs say to add extension=/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/ no-debug-non-zts-20020429/ffmpeg.so However I cannot find ffmpeg.so anywhere on the server after i compiled.

I found a guy that will install it correct for 50.00 but I would really rather do it myself and sleep better at night :)

Thanks guys for your help!

mtindor

Sep 14, 2004
inside a catfish
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have never tried installing FFmpeg from the WHM. Just in case you hit a dead-end, try installing FFmpeg manually. HowTo instructions at: http://servertune.com/kbase/entry/133/
That was a brilliant writeup. Simply because I saw you posted that, I went ahead and followed through with the instructions on one of our servers - anticipating that one day one of our customers will ask for such functionality.

It installed great. The instructions couldn't have been any better. Thanks!

Mike

mtindor

Sep 14, 2004
inside a catfish
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I tried it manually to, I guess what I am not understanding is that in the php.ini all the docs say to add extension=/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/ no-debug-non-zts-20020429/ffmpeg.so However I cannot find ffmpeg.so anywhere on the server after i compiled.

I found a guy that will install it correct for 50.00 but I would really rather do it myself and sleep better at night :)

Thanks guys for your help!
Assuming you followed through the whole procedure, had no compile problems, compiled and installed everything, and under section 14 are sure you did the 'make install' and it installed, the ffmpeg.so is going to be in the following directory:

/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20020429/

Be careful with the instructions - There is a space between extension/ and no-debug-non-zts-20020429 which should not be there.

Instead of:

echo 'extension=/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/ no-debug-non-zts-20020429/ffmpeg.so' >> /usr/local/Zend/etc/php.ini

It should be:

echo 'extension=/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20020429/ffmpeg.so' >> /usr/local/Zend/etc/php.ini

NOTE: On my server, I already have a directive in my php.ini that says:

extension_dir = "/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20020429"

And if I perform the 'echo' line above per his instructions, it will not load on my server. Since I already have the extension_dir set, all I had to do was:

echo 'extension=ffmpeg.so' >> /usr/local/Zend/etc/php.ini

Although in reality I actually edited php.ini and put it where I wanted it.

NOTE: I believe that if you don't have Zend Optimizer installed, you won't have a /usr/local/Zend/etc/php.ini - you'll have /usr/local/lib/php.ini . It is my thought that the instructions should echo to /usr/local/lib/php.ini - Why?
1. If a server doesn't have Zend installed, this is where the php.ini will be
2. If a server does have Zend installed, /usr/local/lib/php.ini is just symlinked to /usr/local/Zend/etc/php.ini and it will work anyway

Mike

Last edited:

InDeep

Feb 28, 2006
So me being very much a huge linux newbie, How do I remove what I have done so far and start over again?