The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File contents replaced with Undefined

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by garingas, Feb 20, 2008.

1. garingas

garingas Member

One of my customers uses the File Manager / HTML Editor in cPanel to directly edit his pages. On the 17th, he edited his index.html and when he hit save, the entire contents of the file were lost and the file contents were replaced with the single word 'Undefined'. This, of course, became his new homepage until he noticed and I restored his file from a backup.

WHM 11.15.0 cPanel 11.18.0-R20595
    CENTOS Enterprise 4.5 i686 on standard - WHM X v3.1.0

To the best of his recollection, his steps were:
    (using IE7 and x3 cpanel ui)
    Select File Manager.
    Select index.html.
    Select HTML Editor.
    Click the Code Editor tab.
    Paste in a block of text copied from the Google Adsense page near the bottom of his page, inside the body tag.
    Return to the HTML tab.
    Click Save.

I am not able to reproduce this, but I also did not have the exact google adsense block in my clipboard.

Has anyone else seen this happen?

Thanks!

2. spebchob

spebchob Registered

Undefined in HTML editor

I have just joined wiserhosting. and I find that any page I try to edit in HTML editor is saved as Undefined

3. garingas

garingas Member

What web browser do you use?
    If you have any search toolbars or other plugins installed, like the Google or Yahoo toolbar, please mention those too.

(My guy has IE7 without any toolbars at all.)

Also, do you run an antivirus and/or antispyware product?
    What brand?

Please post back if your host figures it out! Thanks!

4. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Using our latest test build, I've been able to produce some odd behavior with the HTML Editor and IE 7. With IE in general, the HTML view executes all JavaScript. JavaScript that modifies the web page, such as adding/displaying remote content, will actually modify the document loaded in HTML Editor.

Based upon the earlier reports in this thread, I created a blank file and pasted a stock Adsense JavaScript block by loading the file in the HTML Editor, switching to the 'code view' and pasting the JavaScript. It should be emphasized that until pasting the JavaScript, the file was blank.

Without saving, I switched to the HTML view (click the HTML tab). The JavaScript was executed and an Adsense block appeared. Returning to the code view (again, the file is not yet saved), I noticed an IFRAME element had been appended. In fact, switching between the 'code view' and HTML view multiple times continues to append IFRAME elements.

No new issues, in particular the 'Undefined' issue reported herein, were encountered when saving the file. Reloading the saved file in any editor showed the contents were correct (albeit with all the extra IFRAMEs added).

IE 6 does not do this.
    FireFox 2 does not do this.

This matter is file with the developers and is under investigation.

Testing performed on a fully patched Windows XP Home SP 2 using IE 7. No tool bars, Virus or anti-Spyware scanners were active. Nor any firewalls. The above scenario is reproducible on multiple servers, with different clients.

We shall continue to investigate the 'Undefined' matter until we narrow down the events and/or data that triggers the behavior.