The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File duplication exceeding disk usage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tami, Jan 14, 2003.

1. tami

tami Registered

I have exceeded my disk space usage. Reason being: The files(website) I uploaded to cpanel add up to approx 2/3 of my total alotted disk space. However, cpanel has placed all these files in both the &public_html& and &www& folders, thus duplicating all files and doubling the amount of disk space used.

Deleting files from either the &public_html& or &www& folder(or one of these folders themselves) will cause my site pages not to be found.

I signed up, and pay for a certain amount of disk space. My site is less then that certain amount. cpanel is causing my site to take up twice the required amount of my site and putting me over my disk space limit.

How do I fix this? Is this something that should be asked to my domain host? Are all control panels like this? Should I just use something else?

2. powerhouse

powerhouse Well-Known Member

that is not your problem....

Sorry to say, that is not your problem.

www is a symbolic LINK to your public_html file. it's not a duplicate.

it's just a link, it's not a real directory.

If your having quota problems, it is elsewhere.

3. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I personally would speak with the server admin to have it corrected. Especially if removing one of directories causes issues.

4. powerhouse

powerhouse Well-Known Member

DO NOT DELETE public_html

That is your main directory. Your Hosting company can fix it right away if you contact their support dept. If they are a good host, then they have a good support dept.

If you MUST remove the www then your hosting companies support team can do it like this, in shell:

rm -rf /home/username/www

But make sure you don't do that, unless you KNOW what your doing.

If you have installed scripts that are looking in your www directory, then they will fail, until you tell them to look in public_html

since www is a symbolic link, it's automatically looking in public_html, but if your remove www it will fail.

Just a thought.

Remember do not remove public_html and you cannot outright delete www because it is NOT a real directory.

5. Damian

Damian Well-Known Member

Things that will contribute to your disk space are email and web stats.

If you are using webmail, instead of an email client like Outlook any email that you keep stored on the server will be eating up your disk space.

Also take a look (via FTP, or the File Manager) and your /tmp directory. There are some things in there you can delete if you want to recover some space.

Your host should be able to help you with this :)