The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File Format

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by midwestkel, Jan 20, 2010.

1. midwestkel

midwestkel Member

By default in CPanel you have a folder called public_html and in that folder is where you put the files for your main domain. So it looks like what I have below:

+public_html
    • newdomain1.com
      [*]new domain 1 files​
    • newdomain2.com
      [*]new domain 2 files​
    • main domain files

Is it possible and if so how do you make it look like this:

+public_html
    • newdomain1.com
      [*]new domain 1 files​
    • newdomain2.com
      [*]new domain 2 files​
    • maindomain.com
      [*]main domain files​

Also is there a way to make it not create newdomain.maindomain.com when you create an addon domain?

Thanks for your time.

2. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

When you create add on domains the add on domain folder gets automatically created inside the public_html folder. Once it create the folder you can upload the web contents inside the add on domain /public_html/addon domain/files.html.

Moreover, also not that you can access your add on domain as http://addon.tld. rather than http://addon.maindomain.tld.

3. InstaCarma_Tech

InstaCarma_Tech Well-Known Member

The files for the main domain need to be there in the public_html folder. But the files for your other domains would be inside their own corresponding sub-folder within the public_html. So that shouldn't create any confusion.

When you create an add-on domain, a corresponding subdomain is created automatically. You can access it as http://addondomain.maindomain.com as well as http://addondomain.com

4. midwestkel

midwestkel Member

Thanks for the responses. I understand how CPanel is doing it, the issue is we are moving from Hsphere to Cpanel and in Hsphere when you login to your FTP you see a folder for every domain in the root whereas in CPanel in the root you see the files for your main domain and then the folders of addon domains. I am trying to make this as less confusing to clients as possible and if we can keep the same folder/file structure that would be awesome.

5. midwestkel

midwestkel Member

Another question I got with this is when you click on File Manage and you click the drop down you see:

domain1.maindomain.com
    domain1.com
    domain2.maindomain.com
    domain2.com
    maindomain.com

Is there a way to hide the domain1.maindomain.com, etc?

6. midwestkel

midwestkel Member

Anyone got anything for my last two posts?

7. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Changing the file structure to make it easier for your customers seems like bit more work than just explaining that with this new system from now on you'll have to login, then navigate into public_html directory to get the sub.domains, addon.domains listings. IMHO.

If the user cannot see it, no one else can either.

You can check the documents for details on adding sub domains outside public_html if you must have this though, IIRC, this is possible via a setting on the Tweak Settings page:

Prevent users from creating subdomains outside of their public_html

If it was me I'd be more inclined to explain the new system rather than changing it to suit the old one.

HTH