The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File locations of email (for consolidation)

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Astrocloud, May 22, 2012.

1. Astrocloud

Astrocloud Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi everyone,

I have a weird manager who keeps opening email accounts and wants me to consolidate all of his old email so that he can search it in one location. One problem is that we migrated his primary email to google (which he wants to drop) and we have an old account in C-Panel which the google mail migration tool failed to migrate (don't get me started on google services).

Anyways, since we moved our mail servers I'm having trouble accessing the old mail. I can access it fine through:
    CPanel -> Email Accounts -> Access Webmail -> RoundCube (or whatever)...

The problem is that I would like to copy it from the server.

Since we are not hosting email anymore from that server -connections through tools like "outlook", thunderbird, and even MailStore Client 7 don't work (There is an authentication problem from these tools).

So I'm stuck.

Where are the mail files kept and would it be easy to simply ftp the files and drop them in a place where I can merge them.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The mail files are kept in /home/username/mail/domain.com/emailuser location where username is the cPanel username, domain.com is the domain name, and emailuser is the email account username.

3. Astrocloud

Astrocloud Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Perfect.
    What we actually did was use this location home/username/mail/domain1.com/emailuser
    to move the email to another server like home/username/mail/domain2.com/emailuser

Now we can connect with MailStore Client 7 for consolidation of many multiple accounts.