The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File Manager cannot edit files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chakky, Apr 7, 2003.

1. chakky

chakky Well-Known Member

Hi,

All of a sudden many of my users complain that they cannot edit files using the file manager.

When I checked it when you click on a file to edit it, it gives you the error that"

================
    File operations

file: mcheck: can't happen: invalid relation 0. index.html
    File Type:
    Show File Contents
    Delete File
    Change Permissions
    Rename File
    Copy File
    Move File
    ==================

Any ideas on what can be done ??

2. chakky

chakky Well-Known Member

nope I just made /tmp nonexecutable due to the huge hacking attempts going on.

Other than that nothing else was done other than kernel upgrades and latest buildapace and cpanel upgrades.

3. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

Do you have a dedicated /tmp partition? If so, then /tmp isn't your problem.. but if you don't, then yeah, thaphantom is probably right. :eek:

4. chakky

chakky Well-Known Member

Hi,

any idea how I could change the path to some other folder.Too many hack attempts by misusing the /tmp folder is happening and hence I ensued with such a drastic step. :(

5. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

Place /tmp on its own partition if you require the noexec due to hack attempts.. if you don't, you have not only caused problems with cpanel by changing the /tmp folder permissions but probably problems with php and mysql sessions.

I just went through this nightmare 2 weeks ago, a script kiddie was placing files in /tmp to try and take over the server. After /tmp was set to its own partition with noexec priveleges the hacker moved on and the nightmare was over. This is probably something all cpanel server owners should do if their server was not setup off the bat this way (imho it should be)..

I haven't noticed any problems with cpanel and this setup. I was told by my data center/cpanel distributer that this could cause problems when trying to update cpanel. Solution, set cpanel to manual updates only. When you are ready to update cpanel you will need to change /tmp to how it was before, run the update, then change it back. More steps, but having security to your /tmp is better than sleepless nights! This change doesn't seem to cause problems with DarkOrb/Security auto-updates.. since my server got the new MySQL and bandmin updates along with almost everyone else (darn).

This website gives some good instructions on how to do this:
    http://www.admin0.com/index.html
    Personally I had my data center do it for me since I was already a wreck from the hacker invading my system and I didn't want to muck things up. :eek:

6. masood

masood Well-Known Member

Do you mean to say the filemanager runs executable files under /tmp ? or is this just a speculation?

Making /tmp nonexec should not break cpanel filemanager. We have many servers with nonexec and they are working fine. This is some other bug.

7. H2Hosting.com

H2Hosting.com Well-Known Member

They (Cpanel support) are kidding...

My request:
    Link "Edit file" in file manager disapeared. Impossible
    to edit files from Cpanel.

Cpanel reply #1:
    Do you mind if I have access to a cPanel that is having this problem to take a look?

I sent access password.

Cpanel reply #2:
    The reason there is no edit file link is because these files cannot be edited. They will need to have edit permissions to be edited. Change the files from 644 to 755.

:D :D :D

My reply:
    ???? Thank you. Why not to change permissions to 777 ?
    AGAIN - I CAN EDIT FILES ON OTHER SERVERS with 644 permission....
    Please close this ticket.
    p.s. why the cost of Cpanel ~$40/month and support for -$100 ?

Cpanel reply #3:
    Support should be included in the price of cPanel through any of our distributors or partner NOCs.

:D :D :D

#7 H2Hosting.com, May 13, 2003
    Last edited: May 13, 2003
  8. alwaysweb

alwaysweb Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sorry to stir up an old thread, but any solution to this error from cpanel's file manager?

------------
    File operations

file: mcheck: can't happen: invalid relation 0. index.html
    ------------

(where index.html represents the filename you're trying to edit)

Thanks!