The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File manager is not updated when I use my ftp client

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joner76, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Joner76

Joner76 Registered

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

I have a strange problem of synchronization between Cpanel and my ftp client (Cyberduck).

When I open Cyberduck (or any other ftp client), the connection is fine, I can get access to my directories and I can upload files.

The problem is that the new uploaded files do not appear on my webpage and i have realized that they do not appear in the file manager of cpanel as well.

So it's like if I had two different directories: one shown in Cyberduck and another one in File Manager. How is this possible ? Where are the new uploaded files that I see in Cyberduck gone ?

When I upload files directly in File Manager, it's ok but not very handy.

I've been using both Cyberduck and Cpanel for many years to update my webpage and i never had such a problem.

I have tried another ftp client called Fetch but the problem is the same...

I use an IMac with OSX 10.5.7

Thank you for your advices. Have a nice day.
    Vince

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You'll have to speak with your host about this so they can take a look at your account, troubleshoot and try to recreate the problem, on your account. Best to try there.

3. That1Swede

That1Swede Member

Chances are you are uploading the files into your account's home directory when you're using the FTP client while the cPanel file manager defaults to the web-accessible directory, which is public_html. If you upload the files into the public_html directory with your FTP client you should find them accessible via both the web and the cPanel file manager (using its default settings).

4. Joner76

Joner76 Registered

Thank you. No, my files are well uploaded in the good public_html directory. I just can't see the changes in File Manager... I just wonder where the files I see in the ftp client come from... Cheers...

5. saltychip

saltychip Registered

I'm having the same problem. It's weird. It started all of a sudden. I'm trying to upload files or folders from my Filezilla into public_html. The file creates but I look for it in the file manager and it isn't there. I try to go the weblink it should be and its not there. It seems my FTP program is creating files and stuff but its not being put onto my web host. I dont know what the problem is. I've tried both FileZilla and CuteFTP same results with both. I tried to do the same on my other site which uses BlueHost and it worked fine. The host I use with the problem is ProLinkHosting. Maybe I should talk with them.

6. david510

david510 Well-Known Member

Can be a permission problem. File gets uploaded but folder will not be having necessary write permission.

7. saltychip

saltychip Registered

anyone understand what the problem is here? I'd be glad to give you the ftp info if I can trust you. My mind is boggled. I just deleted like 10 files through ftp and yet they still show on my website as being there.. it seems anyone I do on the ftp is not being shown at all in the cPanel/File Manager.

8. logicsupport

logicsupport Well-Known Member

If you have the server root login , it would be easy to check

9. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Of course you're refreshing the page properly, correct?

You should not let anyone access but your host, as suggested earlier in the thread.

10. saltychip

saltychip Registered

im going into the cpanel after i upload the files in ftp and they arent there and the weblink they should be at doesn't exsist. Its like im uploading somewhere that isnt my host but I'm putting them in the public_html. I had my host try to login and they said the problem was fixed they uploaded the files successfully from ftp into file manager. I looked in the FTP and i saw the test files there but it wasn't there in the file manager.. I guess they lied. I emailed them back about it and I'm waiting for a response again haha.. X_X

11. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Oh good grief people (except for InfoPro ;) ) ....

I have 4 words for Joner76 ....

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER CACHE! :D

When you upload new files to your web account, many web browsers
    such as Firefox and Internet Explorer will continue to show you old
    cache from your own computer instead of reloading the actual site
    so you won't be able to see the changes you make yourself while
    everyone else in the world can see the changes you make just fine
    without any trouble whatsoever.

If you clear your web browser cache before returning to your site,
    you should be able to see the updated changes you made.

In my case, I like to use a spare browser to confirm changes so as
    not to run into any caching issues. If I am originally viewing my site
    with Firefox before uploading changes, I might switch over to Chrome
    to view my site after the uploaded changes and this double confirms
    that I don't have any stale cache problems.

Another side tip, you can hold down the <SHIFT> key while clicking on
    the "reload" button in some browsers and it will force the reload of the
    site directly and bypass displaying the site from local cache.

12. Joner76

Joner76 Registered

Thank you all for your replies. I'm happy not to be alone with this problem!

Saltychip, did you get an answer from your host ?

I have tried to clear the cache but it doesn't change anything...

It's still like my ftp client is showing me an old copy of the file manager.

As I said earlier, any change I make in the ftp client will not be recorded in the file manager. So weird!

I have also checked the permissions. All my files have the 644 permission (rw-r-r).

Logicsupport, how do I get a server root login ?

Thank you. Have a nice day. Vince.

13. linux7802

linux7802 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Soution

In that case I would like to recommend you use Server ip to connect FTP and upload the files as per your requirement and browse cPanel with the server ip and check it whether newly uploaded file is present is file manager or not? if you are still having any problem then you need to contact your hosting provider as they are having Server access.So that they will check the server logs or troubleshoot your FTP issue because no one on this forum having root login details for your server.

14. saltychip

saltychip Registered

I talked to my host. Which was prolinkhosting.com. The reply back I got was that they don't have me in their system and I've been part of them for 3 years. I think prolinkhosting.com was selling me extremely cheap hosting and they were a reseller website or something. I paid 10 bucks a year for unlimited space. It was a crazy steal. I assumed it wasn't going to last forever. However I still have it but now the ftp problem is here. Something is very wonky. I guess I need to switch hosts. The email support on my host websites has apparently never even heard of prolink hosting. Funny situation indeed.

15. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

You should be advised that there is no such thing as "unlimited space"!

Many users commonly get confused by the host not setting predefined limits or monitoring usage as meaning "unlimited space" and this is far from the truth! In fact hosts that try to exploit this misconception by advertising "unlimited" are typically often overloaded or oversold (by definition) and have less resources actually available to your account than a host that explicitly tells you your set account limits up front.

Following your final post, yours is indeed a very unusual problem. I would suspect either you are uploading files to the wrong folder or server location or your host is possibly screening files and setup a shadow account for you to upload to which they may use to update your real account later. That would be weird yes but I have seen it done before!

Now regarding your current hosting situation, I can certainly give you a hand getting you relocated into a much better situation. Aside from owning several hosts myself, I am well connected with the entire industry (as if it weren't obvious enough by my posts ;) ) and good friends with the top administrators at many data centers, hosts, and resellers around the world and also work with many so helping you find a new hosting home would be no trouble whatsoever. ;)

#15 Spiral, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009